NYU EIW Callback Nonsense (Consolidated)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Callback Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any noise from Wachtell?

Nothing here, although I didn't think that interview went very well. I'm a little surprised no one is reporting a Wachtell CB yet.

Also got Paul Weiss this afternoon, so they're not done calling.

Initials? MP?

Yes, MP.

Damn I thought mine went well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've started to notice a distinct pattern in the CBs I've received. I've got 10 callbacks and 9/10 have been from when I interviewed with an older partner ~50-55+, though that category makes up only about half of my interviews--and I'm 3/3 for the times I've interviewed with a head of a practice group/office. OTOH, when I've interviewed with associates and younger partners, even those interviews I thought went well, I haven't received a CB. Starting to get a little concerned how this might influence CB dynamics.

What I've read about this situation generally is that you may be putting out the hardworker/ambitious/gunner vibe, which partners like and associates don't. Partners see that as billables, endurance, and money. Associates see it has competition, annoying, and difficult to work with.

I don't mean to suggest you are or are not someone who fits that description, just that you may be projecting that image.

On a somewhat related note, is anyone else noticing a trend related to gender of the interviewer? I have a 6/6 trend related to gender, and I'm finding it unnerving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Pretty much all my CB's are from younger interviewers at the associate level, and essentially nothing from partners/older interviews. I have 2 CB's from partners, but they were both relatively young and personable. Also, a number of my CB's are from interviews with 2 interviewers. I have a relatively informal, and very personable interview style. I make a few jokes, and always look like I'm having a good time, and I always look comfortable. The younger folks seemed to really appreciate this and looked equally comfortable. The older guys in most cases looked like they had sticks up their asses, so the jokes don't work, the atmosphere is a lot harder to warm up, etc. Unfortunately, every single "elite" firm paired me with someone who I couldn't work off of all that well. So there is definitely something to these patterns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

In general, it simply sucks to have an associate interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Has anyone gotten Cahill callbacks? If so, did you have KB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, it simply sucks to have an associate interview.

I don't think so. I find it much easier to relate to someone my age than someone my father's age. With the former, I can be lighthearted and "fun", whereas I feel the need to be extra formal and stuffy with the others. It isn't that I can't fake being formal and stuffy, its just that its not who I am, and it likely came through to the older dudes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In general, it simply sucks to have an associate interview.

I don't think so. I find it much easier to relate to someone my age than someone my father's age. With the former, I can be lighthearted and "fun", whereas I feel the need to be extra formal and stuffy with the others. It isn't that I can't fake being formal and stuffy, its just that its not who I am, and it likely came through to the older dudes.

I don't know about any of this trending stuff. I've had great and terrible interviews with partners and associates alike. At interviews I found terrible with old partners I got cbs or interviews that went great with associates I have nada; as well I've had great interviews with old partners and gotten cbs etc. and every mix in between so I don't think there's a substantial correlation, at least for me. I would say that if the person is a member of the hiring committee and the interview goes well I've been 3/3 on cb's for what that's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I guess it depends on the associate, but with most of the ones I've met, I find it difficult to determine just how casual to be (of course you need to make the same determination with partners, but I find it easier). Sometimes they'll talk about stuff that's clearly "unprofessional", like going out and getting trashed, and it seems almost like a lose-lose situation: if you go on to tell your own story, or act like you do the same thing, then you're unprofessional, but if you act in a way that seems disapproving to them, then you're unfriendly and hard to get along with.

I also think associates have worse interviewing skills. I think they care less and aren't as good at asking follow-up questions or helping you along, and when you ask them questions, their answers aren't as good as partners' answers.

The person who pointed out the difference between what associates are looking for and what partners are looking for is definitely right. I think that plays a huge role in how they interact with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I guess it depends on the associate, but with most of the ones I've met, I find it difficult to determine just how casual to be (of course you need to make the same determination with partners, but I find it easier). Sometimes they'll talk about stuff that's clearly "unprofessional", like going out and getting trashed, and it seems almost like a lose-lose situation: if you go on to tell your own story, or act like you do the same thing, then you're unprofessional, but if you act in a way that seems disapproving to them, then you're unfriendly and hard to get along with.

I also think associates have worse interviewing skills. I think they care less and aren't as good at asking follow-up questions or helping you along, and when you ask them questions, their answers aren't as good as partners' answers. And because most younger associates don't have highly-developed and honed interviewing skills, they aren't as good at "hiding the ball" regarding what they think or how they feel. So I could "read" them much better and tailor things accordingly. The older guys don't wear it on their sleeve quite as much, at least among those that I interviewed with.

The person who pointed out the difference between what associates are looking for and what partners are looking for is definitely right. I think that plays a huge role in how they interact with you.

I think you are totally right that they aren't as good at asking follow-ups or helping you along. But I like this because it was me who ended up guided things along. I felt much more in control, and was able to dictate much more the pace, mood, and subject matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Anyone hear from Milbank or Kramer Levin NY today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Milbank or Kramer Levin NY today?

I'm still waiting on both. Heard of a select few Milbank calls, but haven't heard any Kramer Levin calls. I certainly hope 1 or 2 more calls come in from yesterday. I had a number of good interviews that I feel went really well. Only 1 CB though, not that I'm complaining about it at all. I just want to get to a number of CB's where I start to feel relatively safe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

On a somewhat related note, is anyone else noticing a trend related to gender of the interviewer? I have a 6/6 trend related to gender, and I'm finding it unnerving.

Interviewers are predominantly male because they're predominantly partners, so if all your CBs are from men, it probably doesn't mean anything. 6/6 of my CBs are from men, but 17/22 interviewers were men too. If all your CBs are from the few women who interviewed you, that's a little weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Anyone heard from Dewey SC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Just got email invite to Cadwalader's dinner reception on Monday the 29th. Anyone else get Cadwalader CB today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got email invite to Cadwalader's dinner reception on Monday the 29th. Anyone else get Cadwalader CB today?

+1. Pretty excited about it. The recruiters and associates were especially friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 pm

With the Simpson reception come and gone, is it safe to assume for those of us without a response....ding-ville?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With the Simpson reception come and gone, is it safe to assume for those of us without a response....ding-ville?

Not necessarily. I know of people who got CB's the day after dinner receptions. Also keep in mind that Simpson, as with a few other firms, have sent out some dings (I believe), yet you haven't been rejected. The dinner reception might just be for the sure-thing candidates, while they might have a "hold" pile that takes a few days to cull through and perhaps pick out a few more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:With the Simpson reception come and gone, is it safe to assume for those of us without a response....ding-ville?

Not necessarily. I know of people who got CB's the day after dinner receptions. Also keep in mind that Simpson, as with a few other firms, have sent out some dings (I believe), yet you haven't been rejected. The dinner reception might just be for the sure-thing candidates, while they might have a "hold" pile that takes a few days to cull through and perhaps pick out a few more.

+1. Also, this explanation calms my injured, overblown ego.

bschak

Postby bschak » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:25 interviews. Zero callbacks. Zero dings. Is there something I should be doing?

Weird. Maybe check that the phone number on your résumé is accurate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've started to notice a distinct pattern in the CBs I've received. I've got 10 callbacks and 9/10 have been from when I interviewed with an older partner ~50-55+, though that category makes up only about half of my interviews--and I'm 3/3 for the times I've interviewed with a head of a practice group/office. OTOH, when I've interviewed with associates and younger partners, even those interviews I thought went well, I haven't received a CB. Starting to get a little concerned how this might influence CB dynamics.

I have a very similar clear correlation of having greater success with older interviewers. I do find it easier to talk about my work experience with partners, maybe because they've developed enough context about business outside law-firms to ask good questions about work. Don't know why the ladies like me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Has anyone gotten the e-mail from SullCrom to schedule cb's? Got the call about 30 hours ago but no e-mail yet, want to make sure I haven't missed something.

edit: n/vm..got it
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I suppose I could have missed it, but I didn't see any Ropes interviewer initials. What were they, if you don't mind?[/quote]

CM.[/quote]

Thanks, and congrats! Glad to see it wasn't my interviewer. I still have my fingers crossed for this one...[/quote]

I had BD from Ropes.[/quote]

A callback from that interviewer? Or were you just saying who you had?[/quote]

The former.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:43 pm

anyone else just miss a call from an unknown number? no message...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Very confused. Just got home and see a letter from Fried Frank. The envelope is addressed to me, yet contains a ding letter inside that is not addressed to me, but someone with the same last name (both the name and address are unfamiliar to me). You think they just mixed up the ding letters when stuffing the envelopes? Or perhaps they just meant to ding this girl, and printed the wrong envelope? Lol, its funny that, had I shown the same unprofessionalism in my correspondences, I would be dinged on the spot. Makes it easier to turn around and do the same. Though I think I should probably call tomorrow to confirm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 pm

So, I just got a rejection from a firm I didn't even apply to, never mind interview with. WTF? :?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”