What is your opinion of K&L Gates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What is your opinion of K&L Gates

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Received an offer from one of their NC offices recently. Really loved the vibe. This thread is of interest to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from one of their NC offices recently. Really loved the vibe. This thread is of interest to me.

Same here, but, since only one NC office had a program last year, I doubt there will be much info on the other NC offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received an offer from one of their NC offices recently. Really loved the vibe. This thread is of interest to me.

Same here, but, since only one NC office had a program last year, I doubt there will be much info on the other NC offices.

Do you mind saying which NC office has given out offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe all three had programs last year. From my conversation with the hiring manager, Charlotte had 6-7, Raleigh had 4, and RTP had 1-2.

I know Charlotte and Raleigh have extended offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any offers from RTP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe all three had programs last year. From my conversation with the hiring manager, Charlotte had 6-7, Raleigh had 4, and RTP had 1-2.

I know Charlotte and Raleigh have extended offers.

You're right. My bad. NALP says no program for summer 2010. I wasn't even thinking about the summer of 2011 since it just got over. Any idea as to the offer rates for those folks this year?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:24 pm

SA'd last summer in the Northeast and would be happy to take PM questions.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:47 pm

sullidop wrote:SA'd last summer in the Northeast and would be happy to take PM questions.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Anyone know if the NC offices will go back up to 130? The dropped from 130 to 115 during the recession and never bumped it back up. I find it odd that such a large and supposedly thriving firm is paying below market in NC. (Im assuming all the other national/global firms, and the regional powerhouses in NC = market)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if the NC offices will go back up to 130? The dropped from 130 to 115 during the recession and never bumped it back up. I find it odd that such a large and supposedly thriving firm is paying below market in NC. (Im assuming all the other national/global firms, and the regional powerhouses in NC = market)

I didn't think anyone paid 160 in NC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if the NC offices will go back up to 130? The dropped from 130 to 115 during the recession and never bumped it back up. I find it odd that such a large and supposedly thriving firm is paying below market in NC. (Im assuming all the other national/global firms, and the regional powerhouses in NC = market)

They are not "thriving". They're in "meh" shape; not good, not bad. A very senior partner told me so much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They are not "thriving". They're in "meh" shape; not good, not bad. A very senior partner told me so much.

Ya, thats why I prefaced it by "supposedly." So I take that as a no, they will likely stay at 115. Do you know if they are lockstep, or merit for salary increases, and what those increases would be?

And to the previous response: I never said market was 160, it is around 130+ in NC (check out all the vault firms on NALP). But there are some firms that do pay 160 (see: Mayer Brown).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya, thats why I prefaced it by "supposedly." So I take that as a no, they will likely stay at 115. Do you know if they are lockstep, or merit for salary increases, and what those increases would be?

And to the previous response: I never said market was 160, it is around 130+ in NC (check out all the vault firms on NALP). But there are some firms that do pay 160 (see: Mayer Brown).

As best I can tell, they're "merit" based and pretty secretive about who gets what. Bonuses are apparently pretty scarce these days as well. Do you mind me asking what school you're at to be considering the NC firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As best I can tell, they're "merit" based and pretty secretive about who gets what. Bonuses are apparently pretty scarce these days as well. Do you mind me asking what school you're at to be considering the NC firms?

Hmm. Interesting. Im at a non T-14 NC school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As best I can tell, they're "merit" based and pretty secretive about who gets what. Bonuses are apparently pretty scarce these days as well. Do you mind me asking what school you're at to be considering the NC firms?

Sounds like we're in the same boat then. I have a pretty good impression of the firm based on my callback and everything I've heard. Never really heard anything particularly bad about them, and it sounds like they're pretty flexible with how work gets done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sounds like we're in the same boat then. I have a pretty good impression of the firm based on my callback and everything I've heard. Never really heard anything particularly bad about them, and it sounds like they're pretty flexible with how work gets done.

Is merit-based a bad thing? I assume that it could be in the sense that it might be very subjective, and it sounds like it might lead to an "eat what you kill" system? Does that sound about right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is merit-based a bad thing? I assume that it could be in the sense that it might be very subjective, and it sounds like it might lead to an "eat what you kill" system? Does that sound about right?

It's extremely subjective. My impression is that it has more to do with the health and profitability of your practice group than anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who knows, we might of had a couple of classes together...

I really enjoyed my CB with the firm. If you dont mind sharing, what office do you have an offer for? I guess the couple things holding me back is the mysterious pay scale and the pretty dated office. You have some other options you are considering?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who knows, we might of had a couple of classes together...

I really enjoyed my CB with the firm. If you dont mind sharing, what office do you have an offer for? I guess the couple things holding me back is the mysterious pay scale and the pretty dated office. You have some other options you are considering?

I've got around 5 offers right now. K&L (Raleigh office) is the only "biglaw" firm with a couple of more regional firms. I have one firm I would prefer over K&L, but I don't think I can really justify taking their offer for various reasons. Probably going to accept in the near future. How about your offer? Charlotte, Raleigh, or RTP? I'm guessing by the reference to the outdated office that it isn't Raleigh since that office seems fairly new.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got around 5 offers right now. K&L (Raleigh office) is the only "biglaw" firm with a couple of more regional firms. I have one firm I would prefer over K&L, but I don't think I can really justify taking their offer for various reasons. Probably going to accept in the near future. How about your offer? Charlotte, Raleigh, or RTP? I'm guessing by the reference to the outdated office that it isn't Raleigh since that office seems fairly new.

My offer is with charlotte. Its in an old building and the office itself is pretty stale with dated cubicles for paralegals/secretaries that blended into the carpet. The lighting isnt very good either. Not that im going to chose a firm off of looks, but if it was a little more modern/updated then it would be a nice and inviting environment. Ya, Im strange like that.

So you are probably weighing against MVA, PP, BP, or Wyrick?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:55 pm

nm.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've got around 5 offers right now. K&L (Raleigh office) is the only "biglaw" firm with a couple of more regional firms. I have one firm I would prefer over K&L, but I don't think I can really justify taking their offer for various reasons. Probably going to accept in the near future. How about your offer? Charlotte, Raleigh, or RTP? I'm guessing by the reference to the outdated office that it isn't Raleigh since that office seems fairly new.

My offer is with charlotte. Its in an old building and the office itself is pretty stale with dated cubicles for paralegals/secretaries that blended into the carpet. The lighting isnt very good either. Not that im going to chose a firm off of looks, but if it was a little more modern/updated then it would be a nice and inviting environment. Ya, Im strange like that.

Ya'll with the NC offers, you mind sharing a rough class rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya'll with the NC offers, you mind sharing a rough class rank?

Just inside top 10%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Did anyone get an email from the Charlotte office that said they were still actively reviewing your candidacy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an email from the Charlotte office that said they were still actively reviewing your candidacy?

Assuming all Charlotte offers were given on the same day, there may be some movement in the next week or two. GL

Return to “Legal Employment”