What is your opinion of K&L Gates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What is your opinion of K&L Gates

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an email from the Charlotte office that said they were still actively reviewing your candidacy?
Assuming all Charlotte offers were given on the same day, there may be some movement in the next week or two. GL
Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Any of this year's 2L SAs heard anything on the permanent offer front?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any of this year's 2L SAs heard anything on the permanent offer front?
Also interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:16 am

A few weeks ago, I read in the Washington Examiner (I read on the metro b/c it's quick and easy) that K&L Gates gave money to the campaign of Texas Lt. Governor David Dewhurst for US Senate. He's a moderate Republican, but you can't win in TX unless you're a Republican so it was almost like they gave money to a Texas Democrat (e.g. Dewhurst also took money from the Sierra Club). IMO he's the lesser of two evils b/c his opponent is a tea partier who's heavily involved w/ the Koch brothers and the Club for Growth. Just some info on the side...always helps to know where a future employer sends political contributions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Anyone happen to know what thee clerkship bonus in their smaller market offices is (if there even is a bonus)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on the recent mass exodus of partners throughout the firm? As someone holding a permanent offer, is it something that should concern me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Was talking to a litigation partner at a well-known DC firm recently about the economics of law firms and he said the following: "Well, I'm sure you know what happened to Dewey, and it looks like K&L Gates is next." I'm not sure if he has any inside info or is just working off the rumors that have been all over the legal press lately, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was talking to a litigation partner at a well-known DC firm recently about the economics of law firms and he said the following: "Well, I'm sure you know what happened to Dewey, and it looks like K&L Gates is next." I'm not sure if he has any inside info or is just working off the rumors that have been all over the legal press lately, so take that with a grain of salt.
Except Dewey promised money to partners they never had and K&L carries no debt...

So is the similarity just that K&L might dissolve?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Why is it such a fad lately to say that x firm has no debt???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was talking to a litigation partner at a well-known DC firm recently about the economics of law firms and he said the following: "Well, I'm sure you know what happened to Dewey, and it looks like K&L Gates is next." I'm not sure if he has any inside info or is just working off the rumors that have been all over the legal press lately, so take that with a grain of salt.
Except Dewey promised money to partners they never had and K&L carries no debt...

How sure are you K&L has no debt? If you are going by what was said earlier in this thread, keep in mind its almost a year old.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How sure are you K&L has no debt? If you are going by what was said earlier in this thread, keep in mind its almost a year old.
It's still the case. That has been Pete Kalis' main pitch for several years and still was this summer during all of his conferences. The firm claims that it will never take on long-term debt, so I think it will take something drastic to change the "no debt" angle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SA this past summer. It was mentioned almost every day. Pretty annoying how hard they tried to say "We aren't like Dewey!"

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's still the case. That has been Pete Kalis' main pitch for several years and still was this summer during all of his conferences. The firm claims that it will never take on long-term debt, so I think it will take something drastic to change the "no debt" angle.
It's a shitty selling point. Most big law firms don't carry long term debt. It's also a non-distinguishing factor, as many failed firms didn't have long term debt. In fact, Dewey was the exception for having long term debt.

What makes law firms susceptible to failure is triggering default under a revolving credit facility provided by a bank. All firms have such facilities, since overhead payments almost always precede collections from clients.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 am

I don't know if this has been covered, but I know they deferred their class to January again this year -- and I think they're alone in doing that. Not only is it a red flag about firm health, it also puts associates in a bad spot. If nothing else, you're looking at anywhere from 2-4 months of less pay versus another firm. I might be wrong, but I also think they didn't tell summers they would do that, so even if you're getting assurances now that they'll start on time, I would basically not believe them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this has been covered, but I know they deferred their class to January again this year -- and I think they're alone in doing that. Not only is it a red flag about firm health, it also puts associates in a bad spot. If nothing else, you're looking at anywhere from 2-4 months of less pay versus another firm. I might be wrong, but I also think they didn't tell summers they would do that, so even if you're getting assurances now that they'll start on time, I would basically not believe them.
I agree that it's a red flag, but they claim to have been doing it for the past 2-3 years because it's becoming the "norm" in biglaw (not that I necessarily agree, but that's their justification). The recruiting department at the office where I worked did inform us that it would most likely be a January start date, so it's not something that was sprung on people (at least at the office where I worked -- could have been different at others). I know that a few people got bumped up to September start dates this year due to need though, so take that for what it's worth. If I accept my offer, I'm going in with the expectation that it will be a January start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this has been covered, but I know they deferred their class to January again this year -- and I think they're alone in doing that. Not only is it a red flag about firm health, it also puts associates in a bad spot. If nothing else, you're looking at anywhere from 2-4 months of less pay versus another firm. I might be wrong, but I also think they didn't tell summers they would do that, so even if you're getting assurances now that they'll start on time, I would basically not believe them.
I agree that it's a red flag, but they claim to have been doing it for the past 2-3 years because it's becoming the "norm" in biglaw (not that I necessarily agree, but that's their justification). The recruiting department at the office where I worked did inform us that it would most likely be a January start date, so it's not something that was sprung on people (at least at the office where I worked -- could have been different at others). I know that a few people got bumped up to September start dates this year due to need though, so take that for what it's worth. If I accept my offer, I'm going in with the expectation that it will be a January start.
Them justifying it with bullshit is probably a bigger red flag. That they'd insult the intelligence of law students, who have access to all kinds of information on the web (let alone real, living, peers who have offers from other firms) with a self-serving lie says something about how they treat other aspects of their business. It's a personal decision though. I'd rather go to a firm that lies through its teeth about "lifestyle" and being "humane" than one that bullshits about finances & acts shady about start dates. And especially one that makes its first years start already behind on debt.

That said, K&L Gates is probably enough of a behemoth that it can survive based on inertia alone. Based on the stories quoted in ATL, they're fleecing their partners as they randomly expand around the world, which I guess may be more sustainable than innovative bonds and all those other Dewey shenanigans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:01 pm

They aren't going down like Dewey. They are a revolving door and have been for quite some time. They are replacing partners as we speak: http://www.thelawyer.com/kl-gates-poach ... 57.article

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kalis responds:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/everythi ... -swinging/

Boom.
Pretty solid response although he is stretching the truth with point 2. The firm has deferred expenses - see January 2013 start date for 2012 grads.

Other than that the firm seems to be chugging along well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Did anyone summer in the Dallas office? If so, what were your thoughts/experiences? I have an offer and I'm trying to make a decision.

midwesTT

New

Post by midwesTT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:56 pm

tag

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/a-peek-b ... ter-kalis/
So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen: Peter Kalis’s “State of K&L Gates” speech. And it seems that the K&L Gates stand strong, ready to withstand whatever blows the future might have in store.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone summer in the Dallas office? If so, what were your thoughts/experiences? I have an offer and I'm trying to make a decision.
Before I say anything, where else are you considering?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok is anyone else having trouble accessing K&L Gate's website? I seem to be never able to get through.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They love to harp on the no debt thing. I really have no idea how important or rare that is.

I was initially impressed with this, but have come to learn it's all a facade. Many of the large firms have no debt - GDC, Jones Day, K&L. In addition to being common, many of the firms simply finance through private-partner loans. Instead of the business entity taking on debt, equity partners will take a loans to expand. I am not sure how common the latter practice is, but I imagine it is quite common.
I know this was a long time ago, but this isn't always true. Some firms rely off of private partner loans for expansion. There are also some that are "debt-free" in the sense that they have retained earnings in the form of cash or other liquid or semi-liquid instrument which they use to expand. This is significant because partners aren't taking out loans to expand. They may be taking a bet on their equity surviving, but in essence that is actually a strong sign of financial health-- a huge cash supply.

Also, all firms, even the "debt-free" firms take on a loan at the beginning of the year to cover day-to-day and yearly expenses for months until they are in the black (as opposed to dipping into retained earnings from the previous year to take care of business issues). This isn't the same as being leveraged for expansion though-- this is simply a working capital facility that most every firm will have.

So, they most healthy firms may finance with cash to expand, and not carry any debt besides some type of working capital facility.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”