What is your opinion of K&L Gates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is your opinion of K&L Gates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Just out of curiosity. I don't know a whole lot about this firm.

Anonymous User

Re: What is your opinion of K&L Gates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity. I don't know a whole lot about this firm.

Cool that Bill Gates' dad is the 'Gates' in the firm.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I've taken a tour of their offices in Seattle. Pretty righteous. Their clientele in the PNW is insane, but not as insane as Perkins Coie.

ETA: I realize this is a nearly worthless comment, but I thought I'd say it.

And yeah, William Gates, Sr., is the "Gates." They retained his name after the firm merged with the K&L part, I think in the 90s?
Last edited by NZA on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity. I don't know a whole lot about this firm.

Woah, interesting, didn't know that. Nice use of anon btw.

I hear they have really pretty SF office. I also know, from prior research, that it's a VERY big firm.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Supposedly the SEC likes to hire from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:32 pm

The only reason I anonyed is because I just interviewed with the firm and mentioned this in my interview. Didn't want to out my posting ID.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 pm

johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hear they have really pretty SF office. I also know, from prior research, that it's a VERY big firm.

Their Miami office isn't too shabby either. http://www.klgates.com/files/ImageContr ... 95x276.jpg

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Anyone have any info. on the North Carolina offices?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Their Miami office isn't too shabby either. http://www.klgates.com/files/ImageContr ... 95x276.jpg

That's what all of their offices (substantively) look like. They have a minimalist white decor theme across offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info. on the North Carolina offices?

Like what? I had a CB at one of their NC offices, so I can reference the vibe I got, but the rest of my knowledge can be found on their website/vault/chambers.

Did they start extending offers? :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Like what? I had a CB at one of their NC offices, so I can reference the vibe I got, but the rest of my knowledge can be found on their website/vault/chambers.

I've looked at all of those websites. I just didn't know if someone might have some firsthand info. on how it is for associates? Since the Charlotte and Raleigh offices didn't have programs last year, is there any basis for guessing as to what the offer rate might be next year? Horrible hours for associates? As you mentioned, some of the reviews are on those websites, but I was just hoping for anyone here that has experience to speak up.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 pm

sullidop wrote:That's what all of their offices (substantively) look like. They have a minimalist white decor theme across offices.

So Patrick Bateman is their interior decorator?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm

NZA wrote:I've taken a tour of their offices in Seattle. Pretty righteous. Their clientele in the PNW is insane, but not as insane as Perkins Coie.

ETA: I realize this is a nearly worthless comment, but I thought I'd say it.

And yeah, William Gates, Sr., is the "Gates." They retained his name after the firm merged with the K&L part, I think in the 90s?

Heh. Try 2007. The Seattle office still is not that well integrated with HQ and satellites.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
sullidop wrote:That's what all of their offices (substantively) look like. They have a minimalist white decor theme across offices.

bobloblawlawblog?

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

bobloblawlawblog?

Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've looked at all of those websites. I just didn't know if someone might have some firsthand info. on how it is for associates? Since the Charlotte and Raleigh offices didn't have programs last year, is there any basis for guessing as to what the offer rate might be next year? Horrible hours for associates? As you mentioned, some of the reviews are on those websites, but I was just hoping for anyone here that has experience to speak up.

Bump.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 am

my impression was that they are kind of like DLA piper in that they bought out/merged with a ton of firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:40 pm

In general, what is the firm's overall reputation? Slave-drivers, easy going, middle of the road, etc.? Do people generally consider it a good firm to work for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, what is the firm's overall reputation? Slave-drivers, easy going, middle of the road, etc.? Do people generally consider it a good firm to work for?

I summered there. I get the impression that the firm can be extremely different office by office. Because they have merged with so many different firms some of the offices haven't "assimilated" yet. The firm has somewhat of a silo-ed structure too (even though they would never admit it). Each office has a managing partner who has a lot of control over the office. So individual office often reflect the characteristics of that partner- like little kingdoms (too much netflix!).

That being said. The office are often very small (37 office and 1800 lawyers across the world). So deal teams are small. There is a lot of interoffice work. There is, surprisingly, a lot of opportunity for international work too (most of the international offices have more than enough space and reserve "visiting attorney" offices where you can go do work on a working vacation). There are many offices in close NY (newark, NY, Boston, DC, Pitt) so there are a lot of interoffice teams that regularly staff across these offices.

In NY, the firm is great and extremely collegial. It is as close to a "lifestyle" firm as exists in biglaw. People regularly take vacations and leave the office around 2pm if they truly have no work to do. That being said, most people have no trouble billing 2K+.

NY is sort of a free market type system though. it relies heavily on interpersonal relationships to get work. If you dont have those, your career will suffer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In general, what is the firm's overall reputation? Slave-drivers, easy going, middle of the road, etc.? Do people generally consider it a good firm to work for?

I summered there. I get the impression that the firm can be extremely different office by office. Because they have merged with so many different firms some of the offices haven't "assimilated" yet. The firm has somewhat of a silo-ed structure too (even though they would never admit it). Each office has a managing partner who has a lot of control over the office. So individual office often reflect the characteristics of that partner- like little kingdoms (too much netflix!).

That being said. The office are often very small (37 office and 1800 lawyers across the world). So deal teams are small. There is a lot of interoffice work. There is, surprisingly, a lot of opportunity for international work too (most of the international offices have more than enough space and reserve "visiting attorney" offices where you can go do work on a working vacation). There are many offices in close NY (newark, NY, Boston, DC, Pitt) so there are a lot of interoffice teams that regularly staff across these offices.

In NY, the firm is great and extremely collegial. It is as close to a "lifestyle" firm as exists in biglaw. People regularly take vacations and leave the office around 2pm if they truly have no work to do. That being said, most people have no trouble billing 2K+.

NY is sort of a free market type system though. it relies heavily on interpersonal relationships to get work. If you dont have those, your career will suffer.

Definitely the kind of information I'm looking for. Thanks! Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Definitely the kind of information I'm looking for. Thanks! Anyone else?

Summered at a different office, and agree with just about everything. As close as to "lifestyle" as there is. Everyone takes vacations, no REAL facetime requirement, get paid like the big boys (however, i think bonus is a little below average...worth IMO). Really enjoyed everyone I worked with, never had an issue with anyone, no horror stories, etc. Really not a bad word to say about it at all - but thats just my experience and since there are so many legacy firms that have become K&L I wouldn't think the experience would be universal.

I can't exactly speak to the "health" of the firm, but they are generally fiscally conservative and avoid some of the huge pitfalls that other firms have, but other people may have more knowledge on that - I never really paid attention to that kind of stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:26 am

Had a CB there recently. Apparently they are debt-free (a rarity among big law firms?) and are funding their expansion on partners' dollars. They kept stressing that they would be around for a long time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 am

They love to harp on the no debt thing. I really have no idea how important or rare that is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:09 am

Had an offer there (not NY). The people seemed really relaxed. Place was nice and hours seemed good. Honestly, probably one of the only "lifestyle" firms in biglaw.

I didn't accept solely b/c I had an offer paying more somewhere else.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:They love to harp on the no debt thing. I really have no idea how important or rare that is.

I was initially impressed with this, but have come to learn it's all a facade. Many of the large firms have no debt - GDC, Jones Day, K&L. In addition to being common, many of the firms simply finance through private-partner loans. Instead of the business entity taking on debt, equity partners will take a loans to expand. I am not sure how common the latter practice is, but I imagine it is quite common.

Return to “Legal Employment”