The Biglaw thank you letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
memo2partner
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby memo2partner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am

Here's a rough copy of what I am sending out to my callback interviewers--does it look good? Or just don't send one?

Dear Biglaw Interviewer,

Thank you for inviting me to interview with your firm for a summer associate position and for taking me out to lunch. I was pleased to learn more about your firm, and today's interview confirmed that Bigmoney LLP is a great place that I would like to work at. Again, I enjoyed meeting with you and thanks again for having me.

Sincerely,

memo2partner

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 am

memo2partner wrote:Here's a rough copy of what I am sending out to my callback interviewers--does it look good? Or just don't send one?

Dear Biglaw Interviewer,

Thank you for inviting me to interview with your firm for a summer associate position and for taking me out to lunch. I was pleased to learn more about your firm, and today's interview confirmed that Bigmoney LLP is a great place that I would like to work at. Again, I enjoyed meeting with you and thanks again for having me look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

memo2partner


my two cents

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:53 am

My favorite part is where the whole thing doesn't sound generic as hell.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby beach_terror » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 am

Helmholtz wrote:My favorite part is where the whole thing doesn't sound generic as hell.

Seriously. Mention stuff you talked about. The goal is to get them to remember you.

memo2partner
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby memo2partner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm

We really didn't talk about much-it was mainly them drilling me with questions about my background and qualifications. I basically said I was interested in mergers and acquisitions, then the interview was kind of a blur and then we ate lunch (I mean, I remember the filet was cooked to perfection, but i'm not mentioning that).

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

No biggie but. . . end the sentence at “firm.” Start new sentence at “Today’s interview. . .” My 2¢.

choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby choochoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

I would rephrase the middle sentence so it doesn't end in "at."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273127
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

choochoo wrote:I would rephrase the middle sentence so it doesn't end in "at."


absolutely. yikes.

yung
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby yung » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm

should we send one out for first rounds?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby swc65 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 pm

This is the trouble with thank you notes/emails. What you wrote would probably be an auto-ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273127
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:My favorite part is where the whole thing doesn't sound generic as hell.


And then spend the rest of your career sending generic threatening letters to people? Sigh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273127
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:28 pm

So do you send a thank you e-mail to every person that you met with? Even if there were 8 or so people?

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So do you send a thank you e-mail to every person that you met with? Even if there were 8 or so people?


No!

You find the departments email (i.e. Whitecollarcrimegroup@lawfirm.com).

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 pm

memo2partner wrote:Here's a rough copy of what I am sending out to my callback interviewers--does it look good? Or just don't send one?

Dear Biglaw Interviewer,

Thank you for inviting me to interview with your firm for a summer associate position and for taking me out to lunch. I was pleased to learn more about your firm, and today's interview confirmed that Bigmoney LLP is a great place that I would like to work at. Again, I enjoyed meeting with you and thanks again for having me.

Sincerely,

memo2partner


roflcopter.

Generally, an interviewing attorney bases a recommendation (e.g. for a CB/offer) upon an interviewee's potential to subsist in the firm's atmosphere as a junior associate, not upon "courteousness." In most cases, the attorney will have already submitted your review/recommendation by the time your thank-you arrives. Moreover, as others have mentioned and as this topic has been discussed, ad nauseum, on TLS, thank-you notes--like OP's--that contain grammatical or typographical errors can only hurt. Thus, while it's perfectly normal to want to thank someone for the opportunity to interview/not get unemploymentpwnd, sometimes, in lieu of ass-kissing, it's best to play the odds that the interviewer probably gives zero fcks because they have to interview like 34089304839 candidates each year (and often disdain the entire process quite a bit).

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby chup » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
memo2partner wrote:Here's a rough copy of what I am sending out to my callback interviewers--does it look good? Or just don't send one?

Dear Biglaw Interviewer,

Thank you for inviting me to interview with your firm for a summer associate position and for taking me out to lunch. I was pleased to learn more about your firm, and today's interview confirmed that Bigmoney LLP is a great place that I would like to work at. Again, I enjoyed meeting with you and thanks again for having me.

Sincerely,

memo2partner


roflcopter.

Generally, an interviewing attorney bases a recommendation (e.g. for a CB/offer) upon an interviewee's potential to subsist in the firm's atmosphere as a junior associate, not upon "courteousness." In most cases, the attorney will have already submitted your review/recommendation by the time your thank-you arrives. Moreover, as others have mentioned and as this topic has been discussed, ad nauseum, on TLS, thank-you notes--like OP's--that contain grammatical or typographical errors can only hurt. Thus, while it's perfectly normal to want to thank someone for the opportunity to interview/not get unemploymentpwnd, sometimes, in lieu of ass-kissing, it's best to play the odds that the interviewer probably gives zero fcks because they have to interview like 34089304839 candidates each year (and often disdain the entire process quite a bit).

Oh hey look, someone who knows what he's talking about.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 pm

am060459 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So do you send a thank you e-mail to every person that you met with? Even if there were 8 or so people?


No!

You find the departments email (i.e. Whitecollarcrimegroup@lawfirm.com).


What? This is stupid. With thank you notes, you either do it right or don't do it at all. So either write a personalized one for each of your interviewers or don't write one. I would suggest against writing any unless you actually have something to say.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 pm

chup wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
memo2partner wrote:Here's a rough copy of what I am sending out to my callback interviewers--does it look good? Or just don't send one?

Dear Biglaw Interviewer,

Thank you for inviting me to interview with your firm for a summer associate position and for taking me out to lunch. I was pleased to learn more about your firm, and today's interview confirmed that Bigmoney LLP is a great place that I would like to work at. Again, I enjoyed meeting with you and thanks again for having me.

Sincerely,

memo2partner


roflcopter.

Generally, an interviewing attorney bases a recommendation (e.g. for a CB/offer) upon an interviewee's potential to subsist in the firm's atmosphere as a junior associate, not upon "courteousness." In most cases, the attorney will have already submitted your review/recommendation by the time your thank-you arrives. Moreover, as others have mentioned and as this topic has been discussed, ad nauseum, on TLS, thank-you notes--like OP's--that contain grammatical or typographical errors can only hurt. Thus, while it's perfectly normal to want to thank someone for the opportunity to interview/not get unemploymentpwnd, sometimes, in lieu of ass-kissing, it's best to play the odds that the interviewer probably gives zero fcks because they have to interview like 34089304839 candidates each year (and often disdain the entire process quite a bit).

Oh hey look, someone who knows what he's talking about.


Not sure if serious?

I've been through the 2L OCI ringer/spent a summer at a biglaw NYC firm. I'm just trying to help/quell fears, albeit really sarcastically, that I had at this time last year. :wink:

Edit: I've asked quite a few interviewing attorneys about this question, and my answer is based upon the vast majority of responses.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: The Biglaw thank you letter

Postby chup » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 am

Oh, I was being entirely serious.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.