Did this go well? lol

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did this go well? lol

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am

So, during one interview, just 20 min long, it started off with 10 minutes on my experience blah blah...worked at a federal agency...then ended with discussions on vegas and other jokes and stuff.

People with experience getting call backs...is that a good sign? Or should I just erase that firm from my memory to avoid depression (lol)?

camstant

Re: Did this go well? lol

Postby camstant » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm

It sounds like it went fine because you were able to have a conversation with the interviewer. If you think it went well but don't get a callback then don't worry--it's probably nothing you did wrong. There will likely be interviews that you think you nailed and get nothing from and others that you thought were unmemorable that turn out favorably.

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:11 pm

this is exactly what you want to be doing. in a good interview you will click with the interviewer and it will feel more like a discussion/conversation rather than a question and answer format.

straxen

Postby straxen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah if you get a conversation going, I think it's best to just go with it and not necessarily try to force your canned agenda in. If you can work your talking points in naturally, great, but if you're having a natural conversation your interviewer is more likely to remember and like you and give a callback.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm

One of the most important things the interviewer is trying to determine is whether you are a person he or she could imagine working with. If you have a lively and natural conversation, that is a good sign. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I got a callback today from an interview where the interviewer seemed completely disinterested in anything I had done, and was only interested in talking about sports, FWIW.

I do think it could go either way, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Hopefully I'll get a callback from this firm, really like everything about them including the two guys who interviewed me seemed to be really nice. Not sure if the interview went great but maybe I'm over analyzing...the firm's website says callbacks happen in about a week, so let's see...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Screener interview recently where the guy was extremely nice and complementary about my resume. He went on and on about how I would have no trouble at all finding a job with this resume, and how my skills were in very high demand. I walked out of there with a huge smile on my face thinking this CB was in the bag, but within a couple of hours, it began to dawn on me that this guy had actually dinged me. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that our lively chat was just one gigantic, very pleasant ding. Sure 'nuff, the bad news showed up in the mail a week later.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that he wrote me off early in the interview when he asked "why this city," and I replied with "I like big cities." I may have mumbled something later about how I had long time friends there (which is true) but I think it was too late by then. There is a lesson there I think...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Screener interview recently where the guy was extremely nice and complementary about my resume. He went on and on about how I would have no trouble at all finding a job with this resume, and how my skills were in very high demand. I walked out of there with a huge smile on my face thinking this CB was in the bag, but within a couple of hours, it began to dawn on me that this guy had actually dinged me. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that our lively chat was just one gigantic, very pleasant ding. Sure 'nuff, the bad news showed up in the mail a week later.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that he wrote me off early in the interview when he asked "why this city," and I replied with "I like big cities." I may have mumbled something later about how I had long time friends there (which is true) but I think it was too late by then. There is a lesson there I think...

I've had a couple of very similar experiences

Return to “Legal Employment”