S&C callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

S&C callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:44 pm

I've heard that S&C offers 90%+ of people they call back. This seems weird to me, since so few firms seem to take this approach. But does it basically mean that the offer is mine to lose at this point? Anyone have particular pointers on how not to screw up and be in that 10%?

Anonymous User

Re: S&C callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that S&C offers 90%+ of people they call back. This seems weird to me, since so few firms seem to take this approach. But does it basically mean that the offer is mine to lose at this point? Anyone have particular pointers on how not to screw up and be in that 10%?

That's correct. Not only that, but probably 90% of the 90% who get offers get them the day of the callback (extra incentive to schedule it quickly!).

The callback is very standard - you'll chill in a lounge and be ferried around to a few attorneys. If the hiring partner can collect all of your evals, you will then receive your offer either right before or right after lunch if you went in for a morning interview.

I've never heard anything specific listed as being to blame for those who fail to receive offers from an S&C callback, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Treat it like any other job interview (i.e. don't be cavalier just because you know their historical rate - firms have changed hiring practices in the past, and if the paradigm has changed you won't know until it's too late).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:32 am

Is this a firm-wide practice, or is it only the NY office that typically has a 90% offer rate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is this a firm-wide practice, or is it only the NY office that typically has a 90% offer rate?

My understanding, as told to me by S&C attorneys, is that the other offices are a bit slower/more judicious in giving offers out, due to having much smaller class sizes than NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 am

Not the OP but also have a callback for S&C non-New York offices. What should I expect?

I also expressed an interest in multiple locations at my screener. Do I need to narrow it down by the time I show up for the callback or can I just be honest about how I'd be floored by the sight of their name on my business card even if they opened up a 1-person outpost in Antarctica and sent me there just so everyone else could point and laugh at me?

Return to “Legal Employment”