want litigation but firm has larger corp. practice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

want litigation but firm has larger corp. practice

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm

interviewing with a couple firms tomorrow that have litigation practices (which is what i want to do) but have much larger corp. practices. any suggestions on how to handle the "what practice area" question? i dont want to seem wishy washy, but i also dont want to seem like i wouldn't be a good fit.

Cupidity

Re: want litigation but firm has larger corp. practice

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interviewing with a couple firms tomorrow that have litigation practices (which is what i want to do) but have much larger corp. practices. any suggestions on how to handle the "what practice area" question? i dont want to seem wishy washy, but i also dont want to seem like i wouldn't be a good fit.

I got interviews at several mostly corporate firms after writing cover letters saying I wanted to do lit. Those firms need litigators, and get few because of self-selection.

lawgod

Re: want litigation but firm has larger corp. practice

Postby lawgod » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:11 pm

I would express a strong interest in litigation, but say I am open to corporate and would like to try that also during the summer.
Ask about how the rotations or whatever work during the summer.
Many people do go in thinking litigation, and then switch to corporate once they do a couple of projects. And that may even happen to you.

Return to “Legal Employment”