consensus on thank you letters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: consensus on thank you letters?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Almost every firm that ended up giving me a callback sent a nice response to my thank you (typically before I received the callback offer).

Out of curiosity, were there any firms that sent a nice response to your thank-you and then didn't give you a callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Almost every firm that ended up giving me a callback sent a nice response to my thank you (typically before I received the callback offer).

Out of curiosity, were there any firms that sent a nice response to your thank-you and then didn't give you a callback?

Of the firms that didn't call me back, only one sent a real genuine response to my thank you note. Most interviewers from firms that rejected me didn't bother responding, and those that did were oven very brisk (i.e. nice meeting you too) and that would be it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Of the firms that didn't call me back, only one sent a real genuine response to my thank you note. Most interviewers from firms that rejected me didn't bother responding, and those that did were oven very brisk (i.e. nice meeting you too) and that would be it.

Not the anonymous user from above, btw.

Interesting. Can you give a rough breakdown of how OCI has gone for you? If you're doing really well (outperforming your numbers, etc.), then you just might be onto something.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:50 am

fwiw, honigman has the following on the thank-you letter

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:00 am

memo2partner wrote:fwiw, honigman has the following on the thank-you letter

--LinkRemoved--

I have to say, this site made me lol. What a great string of advice: "Be articulate." "Be personable." "Try to distinguish yourself." "Do not oversell or undersell." Then, in the midst of a sea of bullet points seemingly designed to freak you out: "Relax — it's only a job interview."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
memo2partner wrote:fwiw, honigman has the following on the thank-you letter

--LinkRemoved--

I have to say, this site made me lol. What a great string of advice: "Be articulate." "Be personable." "Try to distinguish yourself." "Do not oversell or undersell." Then, in the midst of a sea of bullet points seemingly designed to freak you out: "Relax — it's only a job interview."

My favorite part of the website was that the first perk listed for the summer associates is "free parking at our Detroit location."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 am

again - same person who first said that interviewers told from top firms told us they do not want thank yous. according to them, here is why:

after they interview you, they give you a mark. they then report that to the hiring committee after the interviews are done that night. your email will either arrive prior to 5:20 when they are still interviewing (which they laugh at said they won't read), it will arrive after they've already graded your interview prior to reporting to the hiring committee, or lastly, your email will arrive after they've already reported their decision.

so in the second scenario, is it only likely to be of any significance. and these interviewers, all who interviewed here, all for top firms, said the only thing it could do is hurt the interviewer.

they get hundreds of emails a day...they don't want anymore.

Return to “Legal Employment”