Is it bad form to ask about filling a vacant OCI time slot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it bad form to ask about filling a vacant OCI time slot?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 pm

If there is an open time slot on a firm's OCI schedule that has not been filled by an alternate is it bad form to email the interviewer expressing your interest although the firm did not select you when you applied for OCI?

dougroberts

Re: Is it bad form to ask about filling a vacant OCI time slot?

Postby dougroberts » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Most likely, if said firm was interested in you, and you bid on that firm, then the firm would have 1.) selected you for a screening interview, or 2.) designated you an alternative should an opening exist. Since you are neither, I would refrain from emailing them to fill the spot. I suppose it would not hurt anyway if you did, but just realize they will most likely decline (or if the accept you, they will promptly reject you after the screening interview).

Some interviewers may purposely create a break in their OCI schedule to catch up (since the screening interviews almost always go past the time limit) or to eat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:14 pm

I understand your points and definitely agree. However, from what I heard at the patent job fair in Chicago, people were hustling interviews they didn't receive pre-selects for by sliding resumes under doors.

This seems similar but maybe OCI is a different beast since it's just your own school you're competing against?

Miller32

Postby Miller32 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm

I would think you might as well do for it. The worst that will happen is they say no. At least you gave it a shot.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm

dougroberts wrote:Most likely, if said firm was interested in you, and you bid on that firm, then the firm would have 1.) selected you for a screening interview, or 2.) designated you an alternative should an opening exist. Since you are neither, I would refrain from emailing them to fill the spot. I suppose it would not hurt anyway if you did, but just realize they will most likely decline (or if the accept you, they will promptly reject you after the screening interview).

Some interviewers may purposely create a break in their OCI schedule to catch up (since the screening interviews almost always go past the time limit) or to eat.

The worst they can say is no. Go for it.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 pm

why would that be bad form?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:why would that be bad form?

Went for it...we'll see. I was thinking bad form because they didn't pre-select me the first time around?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 pm

The worst they can say is no, and perhaps they'll like you more for trying. It won't hurt anything, as long as you asked politely and are okay with a no.

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I know someone who got interviews doing this. No worries at all.

buster

Postby buster » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm

I have gotten interviews leading to call-backs doing this. The worst is they say no. The best is they appreciate your enthusiasm for the firm and like that you are showing initiative. Two of my interviewers squeezed me in during lunch saying they were impressed that I wasn't just accepting what was handed to me and went after what I wanted.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:08 pm

I have no idea why people wouldn't do this. Being a successful lawyer takes ambition. All you are really showing is ambition and persistence. If you can show that in real life, firms are going to be more likely to hire you.

IOW, don't be a beta.
Last edited by JCougar on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 pm

They probably have alternates who get first dibs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 am

i got 3 interviews like this at my preselect schools OCI. one of the partners said when he received the e-mail he thought "this is the type of guy I want working for me."

it works sometimes, it doesnt others. why not try?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am

Some schools have a walk-in policy that allows you to do this type of thing the day of the interview - you might check with your career office and see if that's the appropriate route to go here.

Return to “Legal Employment”