Received an offer. Is the salary negotiable?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Received an offer. Is the salary negotiable?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am

This summer I clerked for 2 law firms in a secondary market. I was lucky enough to receive offers from both firms. One firm has less than 10 attorneys, and the other has around 40. I will receive official offers (with salary) soon.

Will the financial packages they offer be negotiable? I heard that biglaw firms will not negotiate salary, and this makes sense (if it is true). After all, they are already offering big $$$ and throwing in a lot of perks. In addition, they tend to set salaries in committees, and the salary is disclosed on NALP. This is not the case with small to mid-sized firms. Does it hurt to request a higher starting salary? Or moving expenses? Or a bar course? Or to get a bar stipend or weekly pay as I study for the bar?

I plan on talking to my CSO when I get back to school, but any insight and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

freestylr782

Re: Received an offer. Is the salary negotiable?

Postby freestylr782 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 am

Another question on this topic, what are the usual "perks" for big law

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 am

freestylr782 wrote:Another question on this topic, what are the usual "perks" for big law

Usually cocaine and hookers on command

eta: well talking about the good firms anyway

mths

Postby mths » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:16 am

thecilent wrote:
freestylr782 wrote:Another question on this topic, what are the usual "perks" for big law

Usually cocaine and hookers on command

eta: well talking about the good firms anyway

:lol:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:25 am

This is the worst economy in recent memory. Take the better of the two jobs based on what they are offering and your feel for the two places. Do not try to negotiate salary as an incoming 1st year associate. When you can, inquire of someone that does not seem like a dick about what costs are covered and which costs are not covered.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am

The smaller the shop, the more likely the salary is negotiable. Since a small firm doesn't hire as often its perception of what an adequate/acceptable salary in today's market may be skewed. Also, your offer letter should highlight the various components of your compensation package. A typical BIGLAW offer letter states your salary, whether you will receive a stipend or salary advance, other benefits, and whether the firm will pay for bar related expenses. If your offer letter does not address these basic issues you should ask HR about them before accepting any offer.

Also, there is nothing wrong with addressing your concerns about the offered salary. People who don't ask about it before they start end up regretting it two years down the road when they feel underpaid or when they apply for a new job and a future employer inquires about their current salary.

Just because the economy sucks as a whole doesn't mean you should settle for anything being offered.

Return to “Legal Employment”