Criminal History Effect on Biglaw Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Criminal History Effect on Biglaw Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:44 am

I have three misdemeanors on my record. Two are fairly serious, and one is minor. Both occurred before I was a 1L during undergrad. Do biglaw firms care about misdemeanors, ask about misdemeanors, or rescind offers because of misdemeanor convictions?

Blessedassurance

Re: Criminal History Effect on Biglaw Employment

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 am

Are you going to pass c&f?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am

Yeah. C&F isn't going to bar me based on these three misdemeanors. I know individuals who have had felonies pass C&F.

My primary concern is that I'm not sure if a reputable firm will not want to hire me, especially when they have their pick of anyone they want in such a contracted economy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 am

probably depends on what your misdemeanors are. shoplifting or other offenses that call your honesty into question are probably more likely to hurt you both with c&f and firms than something like misdemeanor reckless driving, for example.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 am

you are posting anonymously, tell us what happened

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:45 pm

As was said, if the crimes involve dishonesty, you will have some explaining to do. I'm willing to forgive an Minor in Possession or the stray DUI, or maybe even an assualt during a bar fight - but three convictions? That speaks to some serious lack of judgment.

Give details, its too late to go back now, you want us to advise you, you have to tell us more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 am

They do not involve dishonesty, theft, financial crimes, or academic dishonesty and I made a huge deal about disclosing what happened by including a ton of detail in my application post-admission.

The charges were alcohol (1) and drug (2) related, and confrontational behavior (I never actually hurt anyone) (3).

The convictions do not weigh on moral turpitude, do not indicate I will hurt clients, and do not involve dishonesty, cover-up, cheating, lying, or financial scamming. Hence why I say C&F will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 am

The incident occurred post-admission, btw.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:They do not involve dishonesty, theft, financial crimes, or academic dishonesty and I made a huge deal about disclosing what happened by including a ton of detail in my application post-admission.

What do you mean by this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:34 am

I wasn't very clear. The incidents in question occurred after I was admitted. Thus, I had to amend my application with an addendum explaining new events had occurred since admission. I made sure to disclose as much detail as possible so that C&F could not accuse me of misrepresentation, omission, or dishonesty/lack of disclosure.

Return to “Legal Employment”