CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 pm

...total SA spots.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:51 pm

IAFG wrote:...total SA spots.



:lol:

Ouch.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273521
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:55 pm

rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.


Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby dresden doll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.


Not sure if srs.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.

Back when we still had an economy, "NYC to $190k" was a meme. I am poking fun at the lack of Chicago recovery.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:05 pm

IAFG wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.

Back when we still had an economy, "NYC to $190k" was a meme. I am poking fun at the lack of Chicago recovery.

Ahh, I get it. I was serious in that I have never paid any attention to the SA class size in Chicago.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby shoeshine » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I am skeptical that Chicago and Illinois in general will be able to recover as fast as the other markets.

Illinois decided to increase corporate and personal taxes in order to deal with its latest budget deficit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13illinois.html.
This move has definitely angered large businesses. Some major businesses including Caterpillar and CME group have been threatening to leave the state. http://www.wbez.org/story/business-groups-complain-about-illinois-taxes-89358

Why would a national law firm hire more associates in a place that has recently become unfriendly to its biggest customers, large corporations?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.


Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.


Kirkland is not sure if serious.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:I am skeptical that Chicago and Illinois in general will be able to recover as fast as the other markets.

Illinois decided to increase corporate and personal taxes in order to deal with its latest budget deficit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13illinois.html.
This move has definitely angered large businesses. Some major businesses including Caterpillar and CME group have been threatening to leave the state. http://www.wbez.org/story/business-groups-complain-about-illinois-taxes-89358

Why would a national law firm hire more associates in a place that has recently become unfriendly to its biggest customers, large corporations?


The can threaten to leave, but taxes here are still low compared to other US financial centers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273521
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.


Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.


Kirkland is not sure if serious.



TBF, Kirkland is not TTT. Sidley probably isn't either. The next 4 "good" Chicago firms: Winston, Mayer, Jenner, and McDermott are all TTT to varying degrees.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:24 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.


Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.


Kirkland is not sure if serious.


Kirkland is pwning, but is being helped along by its Chicago competitors completely shitting the bed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273521
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
Kirkland is pwning, but is being helped along by its Chicago competitors completely shitting the bed.



Truth.

That being said, Kirkland is not THE firm for EVERY field in Chicago. If you are interested in some of the smaller groups, going to Kirkland is definitely the wrong choice.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.