CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 pm

...total SA spots.

ToTransferOrNot

Re: CHICAGO TO 190!!!!!!

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:51 pm

IAFG wrote:...total SA spots.

:lol:

Ouch.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:55 pm

rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.

Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Is this good or bad? Context, if you will.

Not sure if srs.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Back when we still had an economy, "NYC to $190k" was a meme. I am poking fun at the lack of Chicago recovery.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:05 pm

IAFG wrote:

Back when we still had an economy, "NYC to $190k" was a meme. I am poking fun at the lack of Chicago recovery.

Ahh, I get it. I was serious in that I have never paid any attention to the SA class size in Chicago.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I am skeptical that Chicago and Illinois in general will be able to recover as fast as the other markets.

Illinois decided to increase corporate and personal taxes in order to deal with its latest budget deficit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13illinois.html.
This move has definitely angered large businesses. Some major businesses including Caterpillar and CME group have been threatening to leave the state. http://www.wbez.org/story/business-groups-complain-about-illinois-taxes-89358

Why would a national law firm hire more associates in a place that has recently become unfriendly to its biggest customers, large corporations?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Mayer Chicago just gives up hiring anybody, looking to fill first-year spots on the lateral market.

Truth.

I would avoid Mayer. It has been in steady decline since Refco. Same goes for Jenner. Chicago-based firms are pretty TTT.

ETA: Mayer actually makes their SAs work too. Most of them worked like 8-8 this summer from what I hear. The horror.

Kirkland is not sure if serious.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:I am skeptical that Chicago and Illinois in general will be able to recover as fast as the other markets.

Illinois decided to increase corporate and personal taxes in order to deal with its latest budget deficit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13illinois.html.
This move has definitely angered large businesses. Some major businesses including Caterpillar and CME group have been threatening to leave the state. http://www.wbez.org/story/business-groups-complain-about-illinois-taxes-89358

Why would a national law firm hire more associates in a place that has recently become unfriendly to its biggest customers, large corporations?

The can threaten to leave, but taxes here are still low compared to other US financial centers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Truth.

TBF, Kirkland is not TTT. Sidley probably isn't either. The next 4 "good" Chicago firms: Winston, Mayer, Jenner, and McDermott are all TTT to varying degrees.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:24 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Truth.

Kirkland is pwning, but is being helped along by its Chicago competitors completely shitting the bed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
Kirkland is pwning, but is being helped along by its Chicago competitors completely shitting the bed.

Truth.

That being said, Kirkland is not THE firm for EVERY field in Chicago. If you are interested in some of the smaller groups, going to Kirkland is definitely the wrong choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”