Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273410
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:55 am

hi,

I was wondering, is it weird to do this:
walk into the interviewing room, shake the interviewer's hand, sit down and pull out a paper folder (containing your resume, writing sample, cover letter and transcript) and say, "would you like a copy of my resume" when it is obvious that he has your stuff right in front of him?

Is it generally better to not give them anything unless they ask for it?

Thanks!

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:hi,

I was wondering, is it weird to do this:
walk into the interviewing room, shake the interviewer's hand, sit down and pull out a paper folder (containing your resume, writing sample, cover letter and transcript) and say, "would you like a copy of my resume" when it is obvious that he has your stuff right in front of him?

Is it generally better to not give them anything unless they ask for it?

Thanks!


As long it all seems natural, it's okay. Don't stress the little stuff so much.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:20 am

Yes, it is weird. On a bunch of levels. Where are you pulling this paper folder out of? Why would you offer something they clearly have sitting in front of them? Why would you want to start a conversation with this question? Now of you were told to bring XYZ to the interview, then offering up the materials at the beginning makes sense. But you shouldn't be carrying a paper folder into the interview. Get a professional looking portfolio. Or if you are carrying a briefcase, leave the folder in it and just pull out the documents you need.

But the weirdest thing is the question. No, you shouldn't do this but chill out. Even if you did it's not a big deal. It sounds like you are coming up with a script for yourself. Don't. Interviews are conversations. Be prepared but don't try to force things to fit your script.

(offering up additional materials can be a good way to close an interview though.)

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby lawgod » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:22 am

Additional material is always good. Firms are looking for you to show initiative, like by bringing a copy of your middle school transcript with honors in PE.

onthemoney
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby onthemoney » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:51 am

lawgod wrote:Additional material is always good. Firms are looking for you to show initiative, like by bringing a copy of your middle school transcript with honors in PE.

Firms also look for people that know the rules of grammar.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby lawgod » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:43 pm

onthemoney wrote:
lawgod wrote:Additional material is always good. Firms are looking for you to show initiative, like by bringing a copy of your middle school transcript with honors in PE.

Firms also look for people that know the rules of grammar.


I dont want to work for those firms. Unless they pay a lot of money. Like 160k would be fine.

onthemoney
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby onthemoney » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:44 pm

lawgod wrote:
onthemoney wrote:
lawgod wrote:Additional material is always good. Firms are looking for you to show initiative, like by bringing a copy of your middle school transcript with honors in PE.

Firms also look for people that know the rules of grammar.


I dont want to work for those firms. Unless they pay a lot of money. Like 160k would be fine.

Blah blah. Seminary is a scam.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby schooner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hi,

I was wondering, is it weird to do this:
walk into the interviewing room, shake the interviewer's hand, sit down and pull out a paper folder (containing your resume, writing sample, cover letter and transcript) and say, "would you like a copy of my resume" when it is obvious that he has your stuff right in front of him?

Is it generally better to not give them anything unless they ask for it?

Thanks!


Bring a nice looking portfolio w/ copies of your resume just in case, but don't pull it out and offer it if the interviewer already has it in front of him. Just sit down and start by thanking him for his time. And relax.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273410
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 pm

alright.. thanks for the advice guys

Anonymous User
Posts: 273410
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interview etiquette. Is this weird?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:20 pm

I usually do something like "I have a few extra copies of my resume, so I would be happy to...oh I see you have a copy there. Wonderful". Shows I'm prepared to provide any necessary materials, but doesn't make me sound oblivious to the fact that he has one right in front of him




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.