What is a "good interviewer" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is a "good interviewer"

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:25 pm

I always have just assumed it means an outgoing, easy to talk to, well presented individual?

Is it something more than this? For the most part if you are a pretty sociable person are you also a good interview?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Re: What is a "good interviewer"

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:43 pm

good interviewer = someone whose grades don't suck

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Good interviewer = someone with whom interaction's not awkward. So...not this thread.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Sociable, etc, is necessary but not sufficient. You need to come across as mature, detail-oriented and a quick learner. Most people will seem pleasant and easy to get along with. Only a fraction of people will come across as someone you can give an assignment to at the last minute who will be able to figure out what to do with minimal supervision.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I always have just assumed it means an outgoing, easy to talk to, well presented individual?

Is it something more than this? For the most part if you are a pretty sociable person are you also a good interview?
This, plus being well-prepared. That means being knowledgeable about the firm/office's practice, being able to convince them that you would be a good fit for said practice (and that it would be a good fit for you), and being able to ask intelligent questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Amongst people who are sociable / non-awkward, I think it really helps to have thoughtful, mature (and perhaps interesting) reasons for why you are interested in the type of practice you have expressed interest in, and why you are looking for certain characteristics in a firm. This is the primary reason why having work experience or an interesting resume is useful -- people who have experience in the corporate world are able to come up with more compelling reasons for wanting to go in (or avoid) certain directions.

I'm not even the most sociable person (definitely have my awkward moments) and my callbacks so far have exceeded what my grades would predict for my school, I think largely because I have a good story and resume to back up my expressed interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I always have just assumed it means an outgoing, easy to talk to, well presented individual?

good interviewer means someone whose smart, enthusiastic, and charming

being handsome or cute doesn't hurt either

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”