"Updated" Resumes for interviews? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hadlendale

New

"Updated" Resumes for interviews?

Post by Hadlendale » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 pm

I start interviewing this week for OCI and since bidding I've received a lot of help on my resume. Is it appropriate to hand interviewers largely revamped resumes or should I just minimize the amount I update?

To give an idea of what I want to change: I want to add some stuff to my education section including awards and on campus participation I didn't have. I also want to completely re-haul one of my experience descriptions and potentially add a new work experience job from the past. Overall the resume will look a lot more "filled out" and the font may be smaller.

MrAnon

Gold

Re: "Updated" Resumes for interviews?

Post by MrAnon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Not worth it. You want to appear organized, not a person who is constantly updating and reinventing documents after you turn them in already. When you practice you get one chance to turn in a court filing, you dont get to go back and turn in another one with changes a few days later.

Hadlendale

New

Post by Hadlendale » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 pm

MrAnon wrote:Not worth it. You want to appear organized, not a person who is constantly updating and reinventing documents after you turn them in already. When you practice you get one chance to turn in a court filing, you dont get to go back and turn in another one with changes a few days later.
Noted. Thankfully the bid deadline for the Resume Forward employers is Monday so I will be able to get the updated resume to them.

What about if I wanted to make a couple minor additions? For example, I technically wasn't awarded the Dean's List and The Dean's Merit scholarship until after the bid deadline. Would it be appropriate to supply employers that had looked at my old resume with an updated resume containing these two additions, or is fretting over such a minor bump a dick move / turn-off?

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 pm

MrAnon wrote:Not worth it. You want to appear organized, not a person who is constantly updating and reinventing documents after you turn them in already. When you practice you get one chance to turn in a court filing, you dont get to go back and turn in another one with changes a few days later.
Then what's a "Second Amended Complaint?"

(i know, i know you still want it right and usually amend due to events that later transpired or information later acquired -- but responding with levity to the "one chance" comment)

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 am

I wouldn't do it. Unless you want to add stuff that happened since you last submitted the resume (award, publication, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alyssa

New

Post by Alyssa » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 am

If it's just one thing, like a scholarship or activity, I would definitely update and bring it with you. I had something like that and it was a great starter conversation. I had really great interviews and callbacks from pretty much everyone so far.

If you start the conversation, it makes the interview feel less like an interview and the interviewer seems to be more comfortable. At all the EIP panels I've seen, they say that they enjoy "conversations" instead of the usual question-answer format. So, just talk and let it flow naturally from there.

Start with "Before we start, I'd like to give you a copy of my updated resume. I added _________ because I was recently involved with _______ ..." then just talk about that activity or award, whatever it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:25 am

Would finishing a summer job and having more to say about your responsibilities there be a good reason to update?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”