mass mailing - what to send?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yung

mass mailing - what to send?

Postby yung » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Should I be mass maling firms by the order of their vault ranking? And should I be excluding the firms that OCI at my school and didn't give me an interview?
Also, should I just be sending out my resume and coer letter or shold I include and writing sample and list of references?

Anonymous User

Re: mass mailing - what to send?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:46 pm

yung wrote:Should I be mass maling firms by the order of their vault ranking? And should I be excluding the firms that OCI at my school and didn't give me an interview?
Also, should I just be sending out my resume and coer letter or shold I include and writing sample and list of references?

1. You should be mass mailing firms that you are interested in. Who cares what the Vault ranking of the firm is? If you are interested in the firm, large, medium, or small, just apply and see what happens. There are a number of great firms that aren't Vault ranked.

2. It depends on the OCI system of your old school. If your school uses pre-selection, and the firms declined to interview you, then that is the end of the line and you shouldn't be contacting them again. But if you did a pure lottery, and just didn't end up a firm by chance, then absolutely contact them to tell them that, although you didn't get a slot, you are very interested in them. They might tell you to stop by the hospitality suite or perhaps they will even set you up with an interview on the side

3. I think the proper things to send are cover letter (unless you do a cover email), resume, and transcript (assuming your grades aren't poor). Absolutely no need to send writing sample or references unless those materials are requested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Even at preselect schools, it can't hurt to try mass mailing. It's unlikely that something will come of it, but sometimes firms have more people they're interested in than interview spots, and sometimes just the expression of interest that a mass mailing shows is enough to get you into the territory where they're willing to consider you.

yung

Postby yung » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks alot for the replys
one more question: where do people usually get the firm's contact information when doing mass mailing? Do they actually go to each firm's website and find out the recruiter and mail? Or is there an easier way to get a list of firm's information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

yung wrote:Thanks alot for the replys
one more question: where do people usually get the firm's contact information when doing mass mailing? Do they actually go to each firm's website and find out the recruiter and mail? Or is there an easier way to get a list of firm's information?

Check the firm's page on NALP. Make sure you click the correct office, and it will have the contact information.

Return to “Legal Employment”