summer class grades that dropped my rank.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

summer class grades that dropped my rank.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 pm

how do firms view you if you were top 10%, but dropped to top 25% due to summer classes?
grades just came out, and although they are not bad, they dropped my overall GPA outside of top 10%.
However, I'm still supposed to put top 10% on my resume (w/ the honors), but my updated transcript will not reflect that.

will they now look at my like i am below top 10%?

Anonymous User

Re: summer class grades that dropped my rank.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Bump

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:However, I'm still supposed to put top 10% on my resume (w/ the honors), but my updated transcript will not reflect that.

Why on earth would this be the case? "Still supposed to"??? Sounds like you're no longer top 10%, so there is no reason you would be putting top 10% on your resume.

Anonymous User wrote:will they now look at my like i am below top 10%?

Yes, you are below top 10%, so of course they will look at you as below top 10%...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:22 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, I'm still supposed to put top 10% on my resume (w/ the honors), but my updated transcript will not reflect that.

Why on earth would this be the case? "Still supposed to"??? Sounds like you're no longer top 10%, so there is no reason you would be putting top 10% on your resume.

Anonymous User wrote:will they now look at my like i am below top 10%?

Yes, you are below top 10%, so of course they will look at you as below top 10%...

well you can't put new GPA up with the same rank approximation from before summer school b/c it totally changes the algorithm, and its not like they provide a new approximation just after summer school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 pm

interested in this as well, and how it will affect CBs that you receive.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 pm

I know that at my schools summer grades are explicitly NOT factored into ranking until AFTER fall semester because not everyone has those classes. As a result, people who take graded summer classes have a new GPA, of course, but their honors remain the same as they were after spring semester. Keep top 10% on your resume until it officially changes after fall semester (but work hard to pull it back up!)

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:13 pm

blurbz wrote:I know that at my schools summer grades are explicitly NOT factored into ranking until AFTER fall semester because not everyone has those classes. As a result, people who take graded summer classes have a new GPA, of course, but their honors remain the same as they were after spring semester. Keep top 10% on your resume until it officially changes after fall semester (but work hard to pull it back up!)

It doesn't sound like OP's school does things like yours, though.

OP, it sucks that you dropped rank but wouldn't it strike you as a little unethical to represent yourself as ranked top 10% if you're not actually ranked in the top 10%?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Heartford wrote:
blurbz wrote:I know that at my schools summer grades are explicitly NOT factored into ranking until AFTER fall semester because not everyone has those classes. As a result, people who take graded summer classes have a new GPA, of course, but their honors remain the same as they were after spring semester. Keep top 10% on your resume until it officially changes after fall semester (but work hard to pull it back up!)

OP, it sucks that you dropped rank but wouldn't it strike you as a little unethical to represent yourself as ranked top 10% if you're not actually ranked in the top 10%?

OP here.
my school does exactly that. I was told by CSO to keep the rank/honors on my resume. In fact, I am told to keep my GPA on my resume. However, the grade on my transcript will have the new GPA.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Heartford wrote:

I read it differently than you. OP said that he's "supposed to" keep top 10% on his resume. I assumed that the requirement came from his school's career services. OP...care to clarify?

Edit: Op clarified. So yeah--OP should definitely update his transcript but keep the honors designation/GPA on his resume. It makes sense because the employers are evaluating the vast majority of candidates based on two semesters of grades and OP was top 10% after two semesters. This might hurt a little, but these grades can't be accurately factored in yet because the curve might change after everyone has taken more classes. Congrats on top 10% OP.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:18 pm

OP wrote: I was told by CSO to keep the rank/honors on my resume. In fact, I am told to keep my GPA on my resume. However, the grade on my transcript will have the new GPA.

Wait, so what's the point of this thread? Didn't CSO answer your question already?

Just re-read your question.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh yeah, I sort of forgot to answer your question!

My real answer: I don't know. My guess, though, is that they won't care too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Heartford wrote:
OP wrote: I was told by CSO to keep the rank/honors on my resume. In fact, I am told to keep my GPA on my resume. However, the grade on my transcript will have the new GPA.

Wait, so what's the point of this thread? Didn't CSO answer your question already?

Just re-read your question.

OP here.
I guess I should have phrased my question better. How will firms view me at CBs now?
Will they rule me out since my GPA decreased? Am I a lot less likely to get an offer b/c of this?

Return to “Legal Employment”