Level of safety with six CBs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got no-offered on a SullCrom CB. I thought the callback went extremely well, as well. I sometimes wonder whether my un-prestigious undergrad (basically a community college) and lack of work experience had anything to do with it
This is why I disbelieve people who say that your paper credentials don't matter on CBs. I really think they can still matter a lot.
Agreed.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

could the people going 0/5 or 6 cb's maybe elaborate on what they think went wrong?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got no-offered on a SullCrom CB. I thought the callback went extremely well, as well. I sometimes wonder whether my un-prestigious undergrad (basically a community college) and lack of work experience had anything to do with it
This is why I disbelieve people who say that your paper credentials don't matter on CBs. I really think they can still matter a lot.
I don't think many will claim that credentials don't matter at all. They obviously don't matter nearly as much as they do at the screening interview stage, but the decision ultimately gets made by a hiring committee that reviews the applicants' credentials and callback evaluations. I can't imagine the committee is able to make every offer and rejection based on evaluations alone.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Cavalier wrote: I don't think many will claim that credentials don't matter at all.
I have seen many claim that credentials become irrelevant at the CB stage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:57 pm

I hope they at least become less relevant. Haven't gone through OCI yet, but I have participated in a few off-campus job fairs, and I think I outperformed my grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Well they're wrong then. Especially in the case of the majority of NY firms, where callback decisions are made extremely quickly by the screening interviewer, the fact that an attorney decides to brings you back (often without the input of anyone except the other screening interviewers) doesn't mean the hiring committee won't later reject you based on your credentials.

I think the key difference is that at the screening stage, your credentials may serve as an absolute barrier to getting a callback, whereas at the callback stage, you can be rejected based on your credentials because they don't compare favorably to those of the other applicants, and not because they are simply too low for what the firm deems acceptable. If you get called back you have acceptable credentials, but they still matter, in other words.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:Well they're wrong then. Especially in the case of the majority of NY firms, where callback decisions are made extremely quickly by the screening interviewer, the fact that an attorney decides to brings you back (often without the input of anyone except the other screening interviewers) doesn't mean the hiring committee won't later reject you based on your credentials.

I think the key difference is that at the screening stage, your credentials may serve as an absolute barrier to getting a callback, whereas at the callback stage, you can be rejected based on your credentials because they don't compare favorably to those of the other applicants, and not because they are simply too low for what the firm deems acceptable. If you get called back you have acceptable credentials, but they still matter, in other words.
Completely credited, IMO.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking at "level of safety" is the wrong way to look at it. Once you've gotten a callback, you're not going to get dinged for your GPA. The rest is about execution. If you nail every CB, you can get 100% offers.

That said, shit happens. I mean literally --- I'm convinced I blew one callback because I ate something terrible for breakfast and had to stop an interview in the middle for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I was 4/7 overall. I came in 10 minute late to one of the other ones I didn't get, and might have said something sexist in the other one I didn't get.
Shit, I'd hire you because of these stories (perhaps not the lateness one)
Lessons here:

1) The hotel will have free breakfast --- eat fruit.
2) There are a shortage of cabs in NYC --- add 15 minutes to how long you think you need.
3) Some parts of the country find things offensive which in others would be completely innocuous.
4) Cabs in DC surprisingly rarely if ever take credit cards --- try to avoid driving around when you're already late to a callback trying to find an ATM to pay your fare.
DC based cabs don't take CC's. Only the ones from Va. do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Well they're wrong then. Especially in the case of the majority of NY firms, where callback decisions are made extremely quickly by the screening interviewer, the fact that an attorney decides to brings you back (often without the input of anyone except the other screening interviewers) doesn't mean the hiring committee won't later reject you based on your credentials.

I posted this in another thread, but say your school has an honors cutoff at top 1/3, and provides historical statistics based on that cutoff. If I am median, at which point should I consider my grades to not put me in the "danger zone" in terms of potential CB rejection based on grades? I know there is no absolute answer to this, but is 50% offers going to top 1/3 still in the danger zone? What about 10-25% offers going to top 1/3? (For clarification, the % is NOT offer rates to top 1/3, but the breakdown of offers to top 1/3 versus non-top 1/3.)

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I posted this in another thread, but say your school has an honors cutoff at top 1/3, and provides historical statistics based on that cutoff. If I am median, at which point should I consider my grades to not put me in the "danger zone" in terms of potential CB rejection based on grades? I know there is no absolute answer to this, but is 50% offers going to top 1/3 still in the danger zone? What about 10-25% offers going to top 1/3? (For clarification, the % is NOT offer rates to top 1/3, but the breakdown of offers to top 1/3 versus non-top 1/3.)

Thanks.
The hell are you talking about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: 4) Cabs in DC surprisingly rarely if ever take credit cards --- try to avoid driving around when you're already late to a callback trying to find an ATM to pay your fare.
Many/most VA ones don't either, including the one I was in. Since both airports are in VA, this is an issue.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: 4) Cabs in DC surprisingly rarely if ever take credit cards --- try to avoid driving around when you're already late to a callback trying to find an ATM to pay your fare.
Many/most VA ones don't either, including the one I was in. Since both airports are in VA, this is an issue.
A lot of cabbies just SAY they don't take credit card.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
I used to drive a cab and this is actually TCR. Taking a credit card is a pain in the ass. Cash you can spend right away. And when you're driving a cab, you're often broke and need the cash as soon as possible. With credit cards you've gotta take the receipts into the office and have them process it and take it off your next rent. (at least this is how they did it at my company). And you have to worry about the card later being declined and getting screwed out of your money by your shady cab company. I used to tell people all the time that my machine was broken and I couldn't take credit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:29 pm

I am 0-6 thus far

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am 0-6 thus far
I am 0-1 with five callbacks left to go. Please, Biglaw Gods, have mercy...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Same here! 6 CBs so far. 2 rejections, total silence from 2 even though I know they've finished their hiring processes, the hiring committee hasn't yet met for one, and one offer. I never thought I'd be the person to almost strike out with 6 callbacks, but I got damn close. When they say all you need is one, it's so true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 pm

I had 8, actually rejected by 6. I think it might be because my grades were low. For almost all of them I was below the 25% offer GPA for my school.

No offers yet.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same here! 6 CBs so far. 2 rejections, total silence from 2 even though I know they've finished their hiring processes, the hiring committee hasn't yet met for one, and one offer. I never thought I'd be the person to almost strike out with 6 callbacks, but I got damn close. When they say all you need is one, it's so true.
--ImageRemoved--

"I just lost both my parents."
"Me too! I'm having dinner with my mom tomorrow, this is making me think that I should really tell her how much I love her and how glad I am she's still around."

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Lawl strato

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I had a goose egg after my first seven CB's. Received offers from the 8th and 10th ones, and one of those was my dream firm. Keep plugging and work on your weaknesses as you go.

Best of luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had 8, actually rejected by 6. I think it might be because my grades were low. For almost all of them I was below the 25% offer GPA for my school.

No offers yet.

How did you get 8 callbacks? Good interviewing skills?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Hard to tell at this point, lol. I'm non-URM, non-female. I assumed it was wowing the interviewers at the screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 pm

I had six call backs, but cancelled one because I managed to pull three offers. The firms I was interviewing with had summer classes ranging in size from 2 to 14 people.

It certainly is possible to turn those callbacks into offers. Just treat each interview like it is the only job opportunity in the world.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Cavalier wrote: I don't think many will claim that credentials don't matter at all.
I have seen many claim that credentials become irrelevant at the CB stage.
I don't think they are irrelevant. I do think that you can overcome weaker credentials with strong interviews. You can certainly overcome them if you manage to make connections within the office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”