Level of safety with six CBs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 pm

6 CBs, 1 of which was today, hard to say but don't think it went great. Three of the firms are very selective, three are slightly less so. All NYC. I'm ~20%-25% at lower T14, interviewing skills seem to sorta vary depending on the interviewer. Sometimes I feel like I did really well and made a connection, other times I think I suck. I don't feel so great about it, feel like I could come up empty pretty easily. Dunno what I'd do in that case. Thoughts?

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm

You only need 4 CB's for an NFL roster. Most teams keep 5 on the active roster. 6 is definitely safe. If more than 2 go on IR, just move over a backup safety.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:You only need 4 CB's for an NFL roster. Most teams keep 5 on the active roster. 6 is definitely safe. If more than 2 go on IR, just move over a backup safety.


see what you did there. thanks.

BarCliff
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby BarCliff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Do you really expect an answer to this question?

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby AffordablePrep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:You only need 4 CB's for an NFL roster. Most teams keep 5 on the active roster. 6 is definitely safe. If more than 2 go on IR, just move over a backup safety.


see what you did there. thanks.

It isn't only you but the other person. Someone can like you a lot, but not directly show it. Their job isn't to be your friend. It's also natural to feel you did poorly when you really wanted something. Don't judge till you get an offer/no offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 pm

i dont really get the point of questions, let alone threads, like these.

what else can you do, and what advice/response do possibly you expect, other than try and give your very best to every one of your remaining callbacks?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Cavalier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

You're never safe until you have an offer. Yes, it's unlikely you'll strike out with six callbacks, but you're not at the point where you can relax and coast. Don't worry about what happened at your interview today and just focus on doing the best you can on your remaining callbacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I hear you need at least 7 to feel secure. Sorry.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Don't be such a risk-averse sissy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:56 pm

I had 15 callbacks; one offer back in the days of doom. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hear you need at least 7 to feel secure. Sorry.

titcr.

09042014
Posts: 18280
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had 15 callbacks; one offer back in the days of doom. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.


Jesus. Great grades, awful personality?

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby DrGuano » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had 15 callbacks; one offer back in the days of doom. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.


Jesus. Great grades, awful personality?


terrible personality. i've been told that all the time by people i try and befriend who spurn me, but i just didn't believe it til the SA interview process.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7163
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had 15 callbacks; one offer back in the days of doom. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.


Jesus. Great grades, awful personality?


terrible personality. i've been told that all the time by people i try and befriend who spurn me, but i just didn't believe it til the SA interview process.

o_o

notsureifsrs.jpg

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 pm

I had six CBs last year and got 3 offers in two markets. Offers came from #3, 4, and 5, so maybe I hit my stride after the first few and was bored by the last one. Just do your best.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 am

Looking at "level of safety" is the wrong way to look at it. Once you've gotten a callback, you're not going to get dinged for your GPA. The rest is about execution. If you nail every CB, you can get 100% offers.

That said, shit happens. I mean literally --- I'm convinced I blew one callback because I ate something terrible for breakfast and had to stop an interview in the middle for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I was 4/7 overall. I came in 10 minute late to one of the other ones I didn't get, and might have said something sexist in the other one I didn't get.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looking at "level of safety" is the wrong way to look at it. Once you've gotten a callback, you're not going to get dinged for your GPA. The rest is about execution. If you nail every CB, you can get 100% offers.

That said, shit happens. I mean literally --- I'm convinced I blew one callback because I ate something terrible for breakfast and had to stop an interview in the middle for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I was 4/7 overall. I came in 10 minute late to one of the other ones I didn't get, and might have said something sexist in the other one I didn't get.


Shit, I'd hire you because of these stories (perhaps not the lateness one)

Keeper1125
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:38 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 am

AffordablePrep wrote:You only need 4 CB's for an NFL roster. Most teams keep 5 on the active roster. 6 is definitely safe. If more than 2 go on IR, just move over a backup safety.


The Jets dressed 14 DBs against the Pats. The postseason calls for carrying strategies to their logical extreme; thus I think the OP should leave some DTs on the sideline this weekend.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby stratocophic » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 am

Keeper1125 wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:You only need 4 CB's for an NFL roster. Most teams keep 5 on the active roster. 6 is definitely safe. If more than 2 go on IR, just move over a backup safety.


The Jets dressed 14 DBs against the Pats. The postseason calls for carrying strategies to their logical extreme; thus I think the OP should leave some DTs on the sideline this weekend.
What does TLS have against dead horses :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking at "level of safety" is the wrong way to look at it. Once you've gotten a callback, you're not going to get dinged for your GPA. The rest is about execution. If you nail every CB, you can get 100% offers.

That said, shit happens. I mean literally --- I'm convinced I blew one callback because I ate something terrible for breakfast and had to stop an interview in the middle for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I was 4/7 overall. I came in 10 minute late to one of the other ones I didn't get, and might have said something sexist in the other one I didn't get.


Shit, I'd hire you because of these stories (perhaps not the lateness one)


Lessons here:

1) The hotel will have free breakfast --- eat fruit.
2) There are a shortage of cabs in NYC --- add 15 minutes to how long you think you need.
3) Some parts of the country find things offensive which in others would be completely innocuous.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking at "level of safety" is the wrong way to look at it. Once you've gotten a callback, you're not going to get dinged for your GPA. The rest is about execution. If you nail every CB, you can get 100% offers.

That said, shit happens. I mean literally --- I'm convinced I blew one callback because I ate something terrible for breakfast and had to stop an interview in the middle for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I was 4/7 overall. I came in 10 minute late to one of the other ones I didn't get, and might have said something sexist in the other one I didn't get.


Shit, I'd hire you because of these stories (perhaps not the lateness one)


Lessons here:

1) The hotel will have free breakfast --- eat fruit.
2) There are a shortage of cabs in NYC --- add 15 minutes to how long you think you need.
3) Some parts of the country find things offensive which in others would be completely innocuous.


4) Cabs in DC surprisingly rarely if ever take credit cards --- try to avoid driving around when you're already late to a callback trying to find an ATM to pay your fare.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah, if you're not driving to DC, bring a lot of cash.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302556
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:39 am

I've had 8 and I'm still terrified. Take as many as you can get, use them all, do not stop until an offer rolls in.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 am

It also helps to figure out the CB/offer ratios of each of the firms you're interviewing with.

For instance some firms (such as S&C) offer upwards of 90% of their CBs. If you're interviewing there, you're pretty set unless you really mess up. Many firms are around 50%, and a bunch are in the 25%-33% range.

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Level of safety with six CBs?

Postby lawloser22 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:42 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:It also helps to figure out the CB/offer ratios of each of the firms you're interviewing with.

For instance some firms (such as S&C) offer upwards of 90% of their CBs. If you're interviewing there, you're pretty set unless you really mess up. Many firms are around 50%, and a bunch are in the 25%-33% range.


and how do you recommend finding out this info?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.