Pre-Law School Legal Employment Writing Sample

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalede

Pre-Law School Legal Employment Writing Sample

Postby kalede » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm applying to a job that is meant for someone just out of college taking a year off before law school. It looks like a great job, and one that I'm actually qualified for, but I'm a little confused about how to approach the writing sample they are requiring for the application. What sort of writing sample do you think they want? An academic paper, an essay I'll write that's essentially an extended cover letter, or something else? I'm not sure what to give them.

Also, should I mention my LSAT score in my resume/cover letter, or would that probably come off the wrong way?

California Babe

Re: Pre-Law School Legal Employment Writing Sample

Postby California Babe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:34 pm

What kind of job is this?

The employer likely just wants to see that you can write well, so give them a paper you wrote for a class that you did well on. Avoid creative writing of any kind. Do not put your LSAT score on your resume unless you're applying to be an LSAT tutor.

kalede

Re: Pre-Law School Legal Employment Writing Sample

Postby kalede » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:41 pm

California Babe wrote:What kind of job is this?

The employer likely just wants to see that you can write well, so give them a paper you wrote for a class that you did well on. Avoid creative writing of any kind. Do not put your LSAT score on your resume unless you're applying to be an LSAT tutor.

Thanks, that makes sense. They probably want what, two or three pages or so? This is part of the job ad, if it helps:

"[This law firm] seeks to hire a college graduate or law student to assist in all aspects of law practice (including without limitation, work as a receptionist/document clerk, as well as work as a paralegal when opportunities arise). The ideal candidate is a law student interested in taking some time off to experience law firm life, or a college graduate interested in taking some time off before entering law school in order to get more experience. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an academic aptitude, enthusiasm for working with other people, the ability to follow instructions, and the flexibility to adapt to various positions within the firm."

Return to “Legal Employment”