The Unemployment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ManLaw

The Unemployment Forum

Postby ManLaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:29 am

So, I'm curious what strategies people are deploying to find jobs when there are no jobs. Are you hanging in there and doing the unpaid/low paid/part time internship thing? Has anyone decided to jump the legal ship and to apply for a non-law job and leave the J.D./law school off their resume altogether? I've read online about people doing this but I don't know how you explain away that three year gap (unless they are lying about when they graduated from Undergrad and just hoping the interviewer doesn't ask for their transcript?).

Rock-N-Roll

Re: The Unemployment Forum

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 am

ManLaw wrote:So, I'm curious what strategies people are deploying to find jobs when there are no jobs. Are you hanging in there and doing the unpaid/low paid/part time internship thing? Has anyone decided to jump the legal ship and to apply for a non-law job and leave the J.D./law school off their resume altogether? I've read online about people doing this but I don't know how you explain away that three year gap (unless they are lying about when they graduated from Undergrad and just hoping the interviewer doesn't ask for their transcript?).

So...your post makes it sound to me like you're not actually in this unfortunate position and looking for advice, but you're rather just asking people, who's lives probably suck right now, how they're getting by...just out of curiosity? Not a super classy way to start off on TLS if you ask me. Curious to see if anyone gives you a response though.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
ManLaw wrote:So, I'm curious what strategies people are deploying to find jobs when there are no jobs. Are you hanging in there and doing the unpaid/low paid/part time internship thing? Has anyone decided to jump the legal ship and to apply for a non-law job and leave the J.D./law school off their resume altogether? I've read online about people doing this but I don't know how you explain away that three year gap (unless they are lying about when they graduated from Undergrad and just hoping the interviewer doesn't ask for their transcript?).

So...your post makes it sound to me like you're not actually in this unfortunate position and looking for advice, but you're rather just asking people, who's lives probably suck right now, how they're getting by...just out of curiosity? Not a super classy way to start off on TLS if you ask me. Curious to see if anyone gives you a response though.

One quick glance at his 9 posts confirms he is unemployed. He's curious of other people's strategies.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 am

NYC Law wrote:
One quick glance at his 9 posts confirms he is unemployed. He's curious of other people's strategies.

Oh no. If that is the case, I totally apologize for my previous post. Best of luck to you OP!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:

Are you one of those people that looks at a homeless person on the subway and says... hmm... He isn't THAT dirty looking... I don't feel bad for her at all.. I bet those starving kids aren't even her kids...

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:23 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

Are you one of those people that looks at a homeless person on the subway and says... hmm... He isn't THAT dirty looking... I don't feel bad for her at all.. I bet those starving kids aren't even her kids...

Just didn't understand from the OP that he or she was looking for advice. Got thrown off by use of the word curious, which to me, by itself, implies detachment. I made a mistake and already posted an apology.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:53 am

My strategy: graduate from columbia then take bar then mass mail contract attorney firms and temp agencies.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:My strategy: graduate from columbia then take bar then mass mail contract attorney firms and temp agencies.

you're graduating unemployed from Columbia?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 am

I know people that have taken their JD off of their resume.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am

glitter178 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My strategy: graduate from columbia then take bar then mass mail contract attorney firms and temp agencies.

you're graduating unemployed from Columbia?

Sucks that you write this like you're shocked. Below median at CCN has unemployed 3Ls, yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:32 am

I graduated from Columbia with a 3.65 gpa (no clinics, no internships to boost my gpa).

ManLaw

Postby ManLaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Oh no. If that is the case, I totally apologize for my previous post. Best of luck to you OP!

LOL, yea, that is how I spend my days, I login to forums and ask unemployed law school graduates what they are doing to find jobs. That is just what I do, it gets me off. Lmfao.

I'm guessing this forum isn't where the unemployed graduates are hanging out? I'm unemployed and wondering why the hell I went to law school. I graduated in 2010, have now taken two bar exams, and am very fatigued with this process, and just wondering if there are any tactics out there that I haven't tried yet.

I started a thread in May and people said that there is non-legal work with banks, compliance, or something but I'm having a difficult time finding entry level positions in general. Even the document review positions are saying you need to be barred already so there's this awkward gap where I'm waiting for bar results. Are there any non-law positions that give you credit for having a law degree (besides legal zoom/thomson reuters)?

ManLaw

Postby ManLaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I know people that have taken their JD off of their resume.

Did they find success doing this? And in what fields? How did they address the three year gap?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm

I was a 2010 graduate as well, t14 school, and graduated with no job just like about half my classmates.

Recently I got a non-legal job that really has nothing to do with practicing law, but it took me about a year to find it. I got the job due to very specific pre-law work experience and geographic ties. The law degree did help, but more in a credibility/branding sense than anything else.

For non-legal jobs, the biggest problem you will be up against is HR screeners tossing out your resume simply because you have a law degree. They will assume that A) there is something wrong with you, B) you lack specific skills they need, or C) you will leave as soon as a legal job pops up if they hire you.

In general, I would avoid applying for jobs that typically go to fresh college grads...those are a huge waste of time.

As far as non-legal jobs in banks, insurance companies, compliance-related stuff, etc...that's really a dead end IME. These industries suffered substantial layoffs when the economy crashed and there are few, if any entry-level positions available. Any random job in these areas will likely go to someone will several years experience. There are always SALES jobs in the insurance and financial services sector but they are generally commission-based and the washout rate is very high.

If you really want a non-legal job, my advice would be to "de-legalize" your resume without taking the law degree off and play up any non-legal professional work experience you might have. Other than that, persistence is key...you just have to get your resume to someone that's not your typical myopic HR screener. This can be extremely difficult because so many employers use online application systems that automatically screen resumes before they get to humans.

For legal jobs, it's tough out there. If you're waiting for bar results your best option will probably be to try small and midsized firms for hourly law clerk work. If your financial situation permits, you can also try to volunteer your time in the public legal sector. Depending on your SAT and LSAT scores, you may be able to do some test prep work.

ManLaw wrote:
I'm guessing this forum isn't where the unemployed graduates are hanging out? I'm unemployed and wondering why the hell I went to law school. I graduated in 2010, have now taken two bar exams, and am very fatigued with this process, and just wondering if there are any tactics out there that I haven't tried yet.

I started a thread in May and people said that there is non-legal work with banks, compliance, or something but I'm having a difficult time finding entry level positions in general. Even the document review positions are saying you need to be barred already so there's this awkward gap where I'm waiting for bar results. Are there any non-law positions that give you credit for having a law degree (besides legal zoom/thomson reuters)?

Return to “Legal Employment”