Transferring; won't be able to do early interview OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zazelmaf

Transferring; won't be able to do early interview OCI

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

I am transferring to a 60s school in NYC and won't be able to partake in OCI (did not have the funds to be there early enough; will be moving there right after OCI ends). I also have not done any "mass mailing" and am wondering if it's too late to do such things. I am sure there are other people in my situation, and while it's probably not great, I was wondering what others would do.

To be honest, I have been reading a lot of the stuff on here, but stuff such as "mass mailing" really makes no sense to me. To be honest, I don't even know what it is.

Anonymous User

Re: Transferring; won't be able to do early interview OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 pm

You are transferring to BLS? What were your grades in your previous school? The top 10% at BLS are lucky to get a biglaw job - so your mass mailing effort is late and probably not worth doing it. However, if you really want to go to NALP and find firms to apply for.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Wait...why are you transferring if you can't do early OCI?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Wait...why are you transferring if you can't do early OCI?

nymario

Postby nymario » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Wait...why are you transferring if you can't do early OCI?

Especially if funds are an issue, giving up any scholarship money at all seems puzzling.

The only reason this move makes sense if it is a lateral move for the purpose of relocating for personal reasons or something like that. A simple move up doesn't really make any sense. Destroying good relationships with professors if you were successful in your original school for little to no job benefit doesn't strike me as a compelling reason to transfer into a T2.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Why can't you use a credit card or something to get out to NY early enough for interviews? It's kind of important.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:47 am

Well, with moving costs and such I don't want to add to the debt and hassle. I also will need every dollar for the move.

I am transferring for personal reasons, and I don't think I had that great of relationships with professors. I wasn't really talkative or anything like that. I was in the top 15-20%.

I can't do early OCI because I got accepted a bit too late and won't be in NYC during that period (which I believe ended or is going on now).

I never really thought I had a shot at BigLaw nor did I really want it (I'd be thrilled to make $50k).

I guess my worry is, is it impossible to find a decent job if one does not partake in OCI or mass mails?

I think I am going to try to not worry about it too much. I feel like I'm losing sleep over all this and I should not obsess over something that is outside of my control. On the flipside, however, I don't want to hear everyone bragging about their 'awesome new jobs' and such after I transfer. That stuff scares the hell out of me.

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 am

Zazelmaf wrote:Well, with moving costs and such I don't want to add to the debt and hassle. I also will need every dollar for the move.

I am transferring for personal reasons, and I don't think I had that great of relationships with professors. I wasn't really talkative or anything like that. I was in the top 15-20%.

I can't do early OCI because I got accepted a bit too late and won't be in NYC during that period (which I believe ended or is going on now).

I never really thought I had a shot at BigLaw nor did I really want it (I'd be thrilled to make $50k).

I guess my worry is, is it impossible to find a decent job if one does not partake in OCI or mass mails?

I think I am going to try to not worry about it too much. I feel like I'm losing sleep over all this and I should not obsess over something that is outside of my control. On the flipside, however, I don't want to hear everyone bragging about their 'awesome new jobs' and such after I transfer. That stuff scares the hell out of me.

You should really try to do OCI. If you want, you can screen the firms and only interview with smaller firms that are more your style. There might only be several of them, but seriously, paying money to attend an interview is one of the most important investments that you can make.

As for mass-mailing, if you're not going to OCI, you should get started. Use law firm directories to find interesting firms. If you're happy making $50k, lots of those smaller firms aren't on NALP. I'm sure other TLSers have good directories that they use, but I pretty much just use NALP. But you can also ask attorneys who practice in the area and I guarantee they will know some small firms. Then you ask who they know there. Then you call that person. introduce yourself, and ask them if they know of firms that are similar to theirs. They will likely give you a laundry list of them, and this might also start a conversation about hiring you.

I know interviewing is stressful and you don't want to worry about it much, but get it out of the way now, or you'll be worrying a lot more later.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 am

Have you contacted your school's CSO to see if they participate in any job fairs, or how students there usually apply for government jobs? In some areas, there are mid-sized firms which attend job fairs into September and generally do hiring later in the year, although there aren't going to be a ton of these spots. Also, I believe jobs like prosecutor's office, etc, which may offer paying 2L jobs, usually hire a little bit later.

Also, while T2 transfers don't usually do exceptionally well at OCI, your attempt to save money by heading to school late seems incredibly penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am

What the... I don't even... There are no words to respond to this thread.

Getting a job is not outside your control. In fact, it is one of the few things of law school you have some control over - applying to firms you want, interviewing, and making connections.

Was a job an afterthought of law school with little importance for you?? Law school just gives you an opportunity to get the job-mainly through 2L oci.

Get out there today start sending off any materials you have to any firm that might want you. Make sure and do a little research before and have your OCS look over all your material. That should happen today honestly. It isn't impossible now to get a legal job but it'll be harder starting today. Not doing it soon will result in the 50,000 dollar job being at starbucks.

Eidt: I guess there were some words to respond with...

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Unitas wrote:Was a job an afterthought of law school with little importance for you??

This is what I was wondering...

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:

OK, I get that you transferred for personal reasons and I get that you can't do OCI. But why are you not mass mailing? You should've been doing this weeks ago. It's not too late but you need to get your shit together and start mailing. There are plenty of threads on TLS right now about people getting interviews this way. How else were you planning on getting a job?

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I don't know, to be honest. I hate the idea of looking for work, and I keep telling myself I will only end up disappointed, but I guess I have no choice. I didn't realize one was supposed to just send out resumes blindly to firms and they would consider hiring someone. Also, I'm horrible at cover letters.

I'll do that and talk to the career services office.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:33 pm

OP and Renne Walker should mate.

Eco

Postby Eco » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Do smaller law firms do summer associate programs like big law does?

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Well, I did do a cover letter. Not sure how good it is, but I will begin mass mailing as soon as I get it looked over. I just really hope it's not too late. I feel like I worked my butt off through my first year of law school, and missing OCI right now is kind of depressing, but I guess I can't really change that.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 pm

OP, you don't seem to have grasped the fact that getting a job is the end goal in this law school thing...

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

No, I understand that, but my financial situation has been very bleak throughout my life, and there was no way I could move in time for OCI (I was admitted close to when OCI started), and for my current schools OCI there was no way I could interview outside of the city as I don't drive or have a car (which is one reason I am moving back to a major city).

Return to “Legal Employment”