how to deal with rejection letters? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zachanson

New

how to deal with rejection letters?

Post by zachanson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

if i receive a snail mail - the regular thin envelop,
can i automatically assume that is a rejection?

the reason i'm asking is, if it's a rejection, i just don't want to open it and spend even 1 sec reading the bla bla bla

Anonymous User

Re: how to deal with rejection letters?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:23 pm

I actually got a thin letter from a BigLaw firm last week that was a non-rejection. It said that they had got my application and would be reviewing my materials. I have no idea why they didn't just e-mail me but I'll take it. The rest of the snail mail letters have been rejection.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:24 pm

WTF is this? Just open, read it, and throw it away like a normal human being.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Grizz wrote:WTF is this? Just open, read it, and throw it away like a normal human being.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Grizz wrote:WTF is this? Just open, read it, and throw it away like a normal human being.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Seriously. I would hate to see you await a ruling or a verdict.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm planning on saving all my rejection letters.

(1) If I don't get a job, it will give me something to grasp in my fists while I weep in my apartment. If my life is ever made into a movie, this will be a pivotal scene and having those rejection letters as props will heighten the emotion.
(2) If I do get a job, they will give me an incentive to work hard so I can look back and say, "lol, fuck you guys." <- This is what I did for 1L. I still have my Columbia rejection letter somewhere. It's very satisfying and completely healthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Why has nobody stated the obvious yet? The credited response is to call the firm and ask what's in the envelope.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zachanson

New

Post by zachanson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I'm planning on saving all my rejection letters.

(1) If I don't get a job, it will give me something to grasp in my fists while I weep in my apartment. If my life is ever made into a movie, this will be a pivotal scene and having those rejection letters as props will heighten the emotion.
(2) If I do get a job, they will give me an incentive to work hard so I can look back and say, "lol, fuck you guys." <- This is what I did for 1L. I still have my Columbia rejection letter somewhere. It's very satisfying and completely healthy.

hmm, thanks for the perspective.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Didn't ATL have a story about a guy who made a perfect model of his law school's signature building with all his rejection letters? I want to say the guy was at UVA, but I really can't remember.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:58 pm

mistergoft wrote:

I am so mad I never made a collage of my rejection letters.
My first response to rejection letters is "oh, you poor dumb bastards." This might make me an overconfident SOB, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Didn't ATL have a story about a guy who made a perfect model of his law school's signature building with all his rejection letters? I want to say the guy was at UVA, but I really can't remember.
It was UVA and the guy failed to get a job out of OCI. Probably not the best story to be telling the OP right now.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

I drew inappropriate mockeries of the firm name (where possible) in crayola marker on my friend's stack of rejection letters. I threw mine away before I got upstairs. The worst part of hiring season is the serious daily depression of checking the mail. I made a new friend last year though because we both hovered waiting for the mail person to finish.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zachanson

New

Post by zachanson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:41 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:I drew inappropriate mockeries of the firm name (where possible) in crayola marker on my friend's stack of rejection letters. I threw mine away before I got upstairs. The worst part of hiring season is the serious daily depression of checking the mail. I made a new friend last year though because we both hovered waiting for the mail person to finish.

exactly. i was just trying to get out of depression.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:14 pm

If it comes after a screening interview it's most likely a rejection (although I did get a diversity questionnaire or two from thin envelopes), but if it's after a callback it could just be your expense reimbursement or a letter stating that the firm is still making decisions (i.e. that you're "on hold"). But you should just open the letters and not be a wimp.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 pm

At 1L OCI I received a callback invitation in a thin envelope. However, the other 100 or so small envelopes I've received over the last two years have been bad news. After that one though, I open them all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Why has nobody stated the obvious yet? The credited response is to call the firm and ask what's in the envelope.
don't even ask...just go ahead call recruiting and ask to schedule the callback. I've scheduled one where they essentially took it on faith. I'm sure they would have figured it out eventually if I hadn't been legit, but in this case the word hadn't gotten back to the person scheduling. I'm sure they didn't want to seem like they didn't have their act together.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

There is a nonzero chance that it will not be a rejection. For instance, I had firms send me a "you're still on our callback list" letter (this ended up being nothing, but it's better than a rejection). I also got an offer in a small envelope. The point is, if you're unwilling to even open a damn envelope, there's no helping you. Grow a pair and read the letter.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”