Least competitive (grade wise) firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Least competitive (grade wise) firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

I'm at a t25 with median grades and no journals (decided to do an externship instead where I'll be writing briefs). I know it's already late to be mass mailing, but I'll be attending some career fairs in the near future that will be full of recruiters. I was wondering if there was a way to find out which firms in major and secondary markets are generally the least competitive but still pay a decent salary. Yes, I know prevailing TLS wisdom is t25 median grades is basically SOL etc etc, but I figure it's worth a shot and I can probably try to stress at least some kind of diversity (gay and hispanic) Any thoughts?

Grizz

Re: Least competitive (grade wise) firms?

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 am

Try to network your way in the door at firms in places you have ties to. NYC, Chi, DC, and LA biglaw is probably out.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am

Depending on the school, a hispanic with median grades should be able to swing something either in NYC or where you have ties to. Honestly, if your school is Davis/IUB, probably not. If your school is anything else, you should be able to get something.

These arbitrary cut offs (re: T25) are meaningless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:37 am

So NYC is going to be the least competitive market generally? I'm just trying to put together a list of firms to speak to when I attend said career fair. I don't want to waste my time on firms that I know I won't have a shot with. How about figuring out which firms have the lowest grade cutoffs? OCS hasn't been too helpful with that information.

Also, I agree that t25 is arbitrary and meaningless, I just wanted to give an idea of what kind of school I go to without putting myself. Thanks for the replies!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:So NYC is going to be the least competitive market generally? I'm just trying to put together a list of firms to speak to when I attend said career fair. I don't want to waste my time on firms that I know I won't have a shot with. How about figuring out which firms have the lowest grade cutoffs? OCS hasn't been too helpful with that information.

Also, I agree that t25 is arbitrary and meaningless, I just wanted to give an idea of what kind of school I go to without putting myself. Thanks for the replies!

Are you going to Lavender Law?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So NYC is going to be the least competitive market generally? I'm just trying to put together a list of firms to speak to when I attend said career fair. I don't want to waste my time on firms that I know I won't have a shot with. How about figuring out which firms have the lowest grade cutoffs? OCS hasn't been too helpful with that information.

Are you going to Lavender Law?

Not sure yet, thinking about it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 pm

It isn't worth the shot. You need to refocus your search to small firms instead of spending time worrying about big firms. Diversity candidates score big from top schools or when they have great grades, generally not T25 and/or median. Go to some firm bios to check out this phenomenon. To be quite honest, big firms need people who can grasp the work quickly and your grades aren't indicative of that.

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Depending on the school, a hispanic with median grades should be able to swing something either in NYC or where you have ties to. Honestly, if your school is Davis/IUB, probably not. If your school is anything else, you should be able to get something.

These arbitrary cut offs (re: T25) are meaningless.

Something as in small law? sure everyone can swing something doing temp work in nyc even that guy from Thomas Jefferson.

MrAnon wrote:It isn't worth the shot. You need to refocus your search to small firms instead of spending time worrying about big firms. Diversity candidates score big from top schools or when they have great grades, generally not T25 and/or median. Go to some firm bios to check out this phenomenon. To be quite honest, big firms need people who can grasp the work quickly and your grades aren't indicative of that.

You have to remember a lot of those associates were hired before the recession when hiring was up and standards were down.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 pm

MrAnon wrote:It isn't worth the shot. You need to refocus your search to small firms instead of spending time worrying about big firms. Diversity candidates score big from top schools or when they have great grades, generally not T25 and/or median. Go to some firm bios to check out this phenomenon. To be quite honest, big firms need people who can grasp the work quickly and your grades aren't indicative of that.

jesus christ you're negative.

but i agree to a certain extent. op—when people speak of "less competitive firms," it's usually "less competitive" grade-wise only if you're at a school that puts you in a competitive position (i.e., T6, to a lesser extent T14). at a T25, these least competitive firms are still extremely competitive and sought after and would be available only to the kids at the top of the class. being a diverse candidate helps, but most of the minority job fairs have already passed. even then, those fairs mainly help those that would have likely gotten the interview through OCI anyway. if you managed to get some interviews at oci, focus on those. otherwise, start contacting small to mid-size firms in your home market or where you have any connection. also look at state agencies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

not to hijack, but I just posted in another thread and am trying to make a last minute decision. Do you think it would be worth going to Lav Law fair as a LGBT, 3L, IP student with an undergraduate and graduate chemical degree, T20, below median GPA? I have completed 3 CBs so far, so I think firms are willing to look beyond the lackluster GPA..It might help that I passed patent bar, have prior patent experience, and rocked out my undergrad GPA (3.9).

Thoughts? Worth booking the last minute flight?

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack, but I just posted in another thread and am trying to make a last minute decision. Do you think it would be worth going to Lav Law fair as a LGBT, 3L, IP student with an undergraduate and graduate chemical degree, T20, below median GPA? I have completed 3 CBs so far, so I think firms are willing to look beyond the lackluster GPA..It might help that I passed patent bar, have prior patent experience, and rocked out my undergrad GPA (3.9).

Thoughts? Worth booking the last minute flight?

if you want lit, then sure
if you want pros I'm sure you will get in at any firm that does chemical pros

Return to “Legal Employment”