Callback, Offer & Ding LLP - 2011 Results Megathread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Callback, Offer & Ding LLP - 2011 Results Megathread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think this is correct. I scheduled all of my 5+ NY callbacks in August...I know of 3 different NY firms who already have offers out (V10, V50, Lit Boutique)

The process is earlier and the old conventional wisdom is no longer the rule. There will be offers to September callback in September, of course -- but it is rolling -- schedule early -- you will not be forgotten: hiring committees are meeting at least every week.

So your impression is that first week of September callbacks are at a disadvantage?

Quoted Poster replied:
Yes, absolutely. If you're a great candidate, you're still getting the offer -- I doubt many classes will be *full* -- the firms that I know of that have offers out have classes of 20-40 (last year's numbers, but not expecting them to deviate all that much). But there will be fewer offers to go around. I think they *probably* intend to offer at roughly the same rate over the first 3-4 weeks of their hiring season, but that will change dramatically if they have a really high acceptance rate.

There are V100 firms that aren't even starting callbacks until the week of the 29th. Obviously this doesn't apply to them. But earlier has to be better with the ones that have started offers in the third week of August. They'll have 20-30 offers out before you even walk in the door...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Has anyone set a callback for either fried frank or Bingham? If so, which week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

FF on the week of Aug 29th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V. Top 23%. 11 interviews so far. 7 CBs. 2 V100, 4 V25, 1 V10.

V100= Schulte and who else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FF on the week of Aug 29th.

me too

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I find all this talk about timing of callbacks odd. If not going on CBs until the 2-3 week of Sept was such a disadvantage, why would schools not move their OCIs up? Hell, at my school we have mandatory journal orientation the week after OCI (which isn't until next week) and callbacks don't excuse you. If it was really such a problem, why would they not address it?

I understand the theory of rolling callbacks, but some firm sites suggest they may offer some but also hold a list of people they plan to offer until later in the callback season. Hell, one or two firms specifically say they offer no one until after all CBs have been completed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone set a callback for either fried frank or Bingham? If so, which week?

Fried Frank week of 8/29- through mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Bingham SF had a big group of people interviewing yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Hardcopy ding from Drinker Chicago.

Top 10% UIUC.

Interviewed on Tuesday.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

blowhard wrote:I find all this talk about timing of callbacks odd. If not going on CBs until the 2-3 week of Sept was such a disadvantage, why would schools not move their OCIs up? Hell, at my school we have mandatory journal orientation the week after OCI (which isn't until next week) and callbacks don't excuse you. If it was really such a problem, why would they not address it?

I understand the theory of rolling callbacks, but some firm sites suggest they may offer some but also hold a list of people they plan to offer until later in the callback season. Hell, one or two firms specifically say they offer no one until after all CBs have been completed.

Unfortunately, it seems as if schools HAVE moved up their OCIs for this very reason. That's the reason behind the misnomer of school's "early interview week" being the only real OCI. Seems like we're at a bit of a disadvantage, though hopefully it's nothing to freak out about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Socal top tier school - estimated top 10% (best guess is top 7-8%). I've been told I interview well.

I am looking at Orange County offices/firms only. 10 interviews at OCI last week. Callbacks from Rutan, Jones Day, Stradling, and Snell Wilmer.
Dinged at Latham and McDermott Will Emery (poor interview for McDermott).
Still waiting on 4 firms from OCI and a few where I direct applied.

I'm assuming you're at Loyola? How quickly did the rejections from Latham and MWE come?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 pm

How do you know what your class rank/percentage is? I happen to know that UCLA does not rank its students or otherwise give indication of where you fall in the overall percentage. Is this a best-guess calculation based on the curve? Or does someone actually know what the GPA rank is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you know what your class rank/percentage is? I happen to know that UCLA does not rank its students or otherwise give indication of where you fall in the overall percentage. Is this a best-guess calculation based on the curve? Or does someone actually know what the GPA rank is?

Best guess based on past cutoffs. They'll release that for people applying to clerkships and academic jobs, so people just extrapolate from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you know what your class rank/percentage is? I happen to know that UCLA does not rank its students or otherwise give indication of where you fall in the overall percentage. Is this a best-guess calculation based on the curve? Or does someone actually know what the GPA rank is?

Best guess based on past cutoffs. They'll release that for people applying to clerkships and academic jobs, so people just extrapolate from there.

So you have to talk to someone who has applied for a clerkship? Do you (or anyone else) know the cutoffs for UCLA? And this is relevant, because there may be no point in posting my stats if I don't know how to quantify my GPA/percentage ranking, so just trying to figure that out first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you will not be forgotten: hiring committees are meeting at least every week.

This is true. I've had 5 callbacks already (1 V10, 2 V20s, 2 V50s), all last week. And all said they hoped to get back to me this week. Meanwhile, I've got 6 more scheduled for this week. And trying to cram in two more that remain unscheduled.

So get in early. Wow them sooner. And enjoy the early offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So you have to talk to someone who has applied for a clerkship? Do you (or anyone else) know the cutoffs for UCLA? And this is relevant, because there may be no point in posting my stats if I don't know how to quantify my GPA/percentage ranking, so just trying to figure that out first.

Nalp gives the order of the coif cutoff (top 10%) for UCLA in previous years, so you can get an idea from that. This figure will be for graduating students though, so the top 10% after 1L is probably lower. OCS told me it is probably close to 3.7.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nalp gives the order of the coif cutoff (top 10%) for UCLA in previous years, so you can get an idea from that. This figure will be for graduating students though, so the top 10% after 1L is probably lower. OCS told me it is probably close to 3.7.

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:42 pm

T1 in LA, just below top 10%, LR

CBs at Skadden, Simpson Thacher and Proskauer this last week - hoping to hear back in the coming week (plus more CBs coming up).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 am

Schiff Hardin screener

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Schiff Hardin screener

Best of luck to you, but let's try to keep this thread to Callbacks, Offers and Dings as the title suggests. If everyone came here to post all of their screeners, I think this thread would be 1000 pages.

In other news, CB with Dechert DC . . . what's the word on them? I've heard mixed things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:21 am

Anyone have their CB with Bingham NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 am

Cahill has made offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Proskauer ding (Chicago)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Anyone heard from orrick, Jenner, or Crowell in LA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from orrick, Jenner, or Crowell in LA?

Interviewed with Orrick last week, and heard nothing. Anyone else for Orrick in LA? I heard that the timeline is a week.

Return to “Legal Employment”