Do graduates usually work in the same state their whole life Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dkang

New

Do graduates usually work in the same state their whole life

Post by dkang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Do graduates usually work in the state they graduate their whole lifes? or after they get some experience they have opportunities to move to other states easier?

I just find it to hard to pick which school I want to go to if I'm going to be living in that state for the rest of my life

albanach

Gold

Re: Do graduates usually work in the same state their whole life

Post by albanach » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 pm

dkang wrote:Do graduates usually work in the state they graduate their whole lifes? or after they get some experience they have opportunities to move to other states easier?

I just find it to hard to pick which school I want to go to if I'm going to be living in that state for the rest of my life
The consensus here seems to be that mobility is substantially increased if you attend a T14 school.

Also, the better the firm you work for initially, the easier it will be to lateral out to another state.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Do graduates usually work in the same state their whole life

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:21 pm

dkang wrote:Do graduates usually work in the state they graduate their whole lifes? or after they get some experience they have opportunities to move to other states easier?

From my experience, they typically do. Especially when we look at the vast majority of law school graduates--the ones who don't make biglaw. Think of it like this: When you're a fresh graduate of a law school with a limited geographic reach, your best chance of getting a job is to look in a place where there is the largest concentration of graduates and where your school has maximum name recognition. From there, a lot of success is going to depend on the connections you build with the local legal community, and your reputation in the area. So you start connecting with local lawyers and building your reputation. At what point are you supposed to uproot yourself and move somewhere else? Why would you leave all your progress behind? If you weren't working at a large firm, chances are, attorneys across the country aren't going to be familiar with your firm. This is just how I've seen it work with people who went into midlaw or small law, and to some extent, biglaw in secondary markets.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”