Rejected via Mail BEFORE EIP Interview with Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejected via Mail BEFORE EIP Interview with Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm

So I emailed a cover letter, rez, and transcript to a V50 firm that I was interested in interviewing with right after our bidlists were posted at CLS, as I did not get a lottery interview with them. However, a day later I was able to add this firm during an extended add-period that our Career Services emailed us about, and now they are literally my first interview at EIP.

Meantime, their recruiter mailed a letter responding to my email, which arrived today, giving the usual "impressive credentials" but we don't have a spot for you template-rejection-spiel.

Now I have to go into the interview AND kick off EIP with a firm that has already dinged me. What a way to start. Any hope at all that I wasn't really scrutinized by the recruiter, and that I might be able to make a good impression with the attorney interviewing me? Or is this a lost cause all the way around?

Thoughts? Heckling?

vamedic03

Re: Rejected via Mail BEFORE EIP Interview with Firm

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I emailed a cover letter, rez, and transcript to a V50 firm that I was interested in interviewing with right after our bidlists were posted at CLS, as I did not get a lottery interview with them. However, a day later I was able to add this firm during an extended add-period that our Career Services emailed us about, and now they are literally my first interview at EIP.

Meantime, their recruiter mailed a letter responding to my email, which arrived today, giving the usual "impressive credentials" but we don't have a spot for you template-rejection-spiel.

Now I have to go into the interview AND kick off EIP with a firm that has already dinged me. What a way to start. Any hope at all that I wasn't really scrutinized by the recruiter, and that I might be able to make a good impression with the attorney interviewing me? Or is this a lost cause all the way around?

Thoughts? Heckling?

Ask career services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I emailed a cover letter, rez, and transcript to a V50 firm that I was interested in interviewing with right after our bidlists were posted at CLS, as I did not get a lottery interview with them. However, a day later I was able to add this firm during an extended add-period that our Career Services emailed us about, and now they are literally my first interview at EIP.

Thoughts? Heckling?

Ask career services.

Career Services absolutely cannot be relied on, as many of these threads attest to. Nevertheless, I plan to get their take on it tomorrow. Meantime, the whole reason I'm posting is to get others' constructive opinions.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Career Services absolutely cannot be relied on, as many of these threads attest to. Nevertheless, I plan to get their take on it tomorrow. Meantime, the whole reason I'm posting is to get others' constructive opinions.

I'd agree, but they're probably the ones that have the most experience with something like this happening.

I personally think you're in okay shape actually. I'd imagine that you got the rejection letter because they expect to do all (or most) of their hiring from EIP. So now you have an interview with them at EIP, you do have a shot. If the interviewer goes back and tells them to give you a callback I don't think the earlier rejection will prevent you from getting it.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Pretend it did not happen. They won't notice and nobody would care if they did. They bought into EIP system and have to deal with it.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Glock wrote:Pretend it did not happen. They won't notice and nobody would care if they did. They bought into EIP system and have to deal with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm

lawgod wrote:
Glock wrote:Pretend it did not happen. They won't notice and nobody would care if they did. They bought into EIP system and have to deal with it.

Thanks. That's what my gut is telling me too. I'm just going to try to wow the attorney interviewer, and never let on about the recruiter's letter.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Interview, and if they say "didn't we ding you?" just say, "u mad bro?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am

Fulbright & Jaworski?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

Grizz wrote:Interview, and if they say "didn't we ding you?" just say, "u mad bro?"

Lmao.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 am

Interview. What's the worst that can happen? They tell you what you already have been told; you pick up some practice on interviewing. On the upside, you make a great impression and they rethink their initial decision.

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 am

Same thing happened to me. I mass mailed a firm, got a rejection, but then received an interview at the same firm via job fair OCI.

I don't think anyone knew.

Return to “Legal Employment”