Why X firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why X firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Good responses to this, bad responses. It seems like my answers are all the same, large litigation department and I'm particularly interested in your x and y areas within the litigation department?

I'm falling short of other things to say.

Cupidity

Re: Why X firm?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Same sort of thing here. I haven't interviewed yet, but I also plan on trying to work in: location, quality of life awards, mentoring and training programs, any personal recomendations I have from current employees.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 pm

If you've contacted someone at the firm like a school alum (and I don't see why you wouldn't do this), this is your chance to mention you talked to them and heard blah blah about the firm which makes it attractive to you. This a. shows off the research you put into the firm and b. shows that you are really interested due to the fact that you contacted someone at the firm to ask questions. Firms love that shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:27 pm

starchinkilt wrote:If you've contacted someone at the firm like a school alum (and I don't see why you wouldn't do this), this is your chance to mention you talked to them and heard blah blah about the firm which makes it attractive to you. This a. shows off the research you put into the firm and b. shows that you are really interested due to the fact that you contacted someone at the firm to ask questions. Firms love that shit.

Okay, if I haven't done this, any recomendations?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Recommendations, alum connections, etc. are probably the best for above mentioned reasons.

For more general answers, I would try to be more specific to the firm. Instead of saying you're interested in x and y areas within the litigation department, maybe mention a specific case or two that they worked on in the area, and tell them you're interested in working on cases like those. Shows you did research into the firm and what they've done, but doesn't require you to necessarily come up with a special answer to "why x firm." And if the individual you're interviewing with has worked on one (or more) of those cases you can follow up with a question about their work on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm

You're on the right track, do your homework though so you can get decently specific. The best and most underutilized resource you could turn to would probably be current 2Ls spending the summer there if your school releases that info. Send them an email or two with some questions, then when you're interviewing at OCI you'll probably get the same person who gave the 2L a callback or someone who knows the current 2L so you can name drop. It's not name dropping in order to show you have political capital, it's name dropping to show you've done more research than other people and aren't just full of shit with your answer. This is purely anecdotal, but most of the rising 2Ls who contacted me about my firm when I had just finished my 2L SA seemed to get callbacks. The reason for the callbacks was definitely not my bland advice, but just the fact they were clearly hustling and firms like to see that.

When I did OCI I would always start general then work my way down, that strategy seemed to work well. The key is to answer it by also making it clear that the firm would be a good fit for you, i.e., it's not just what the firm can offer you but what you can offer the firm. For example, "Well I'm really interested in litigation and you guys are obviously real strong in that, but in particular I've spent a lot of time thinking about X practice and am writing a note for my journal on X topic, and I noticed you guys have a really strong group working on X type problems so I'd be pumped to get some assignments from that group next summer. I'm also a pretty type X personality and after talking with [current 2L SA] I am really excited about the atmosphere at your office because it sounds like it would be a good fit. Etc." Don't just list off shit like vault or chambers & partners ratings or boring stuff firms put on their website.

Return to “Legal Employment”