Seeking advice... would doing this destroy my career?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hikonyan

Seeking advice... would doing this destroy my career?

Postby Hikonyan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm thinking about accepting a job in another country... one that has absolutely nothing to do with the practice of law.

After that, I want to come back to the U.S., and THEN apply for legal jobs.

Do you think staying away from a legal job for a year or two straight out of law school would look bad to employers?

If so, I was thinking that after I came back... I could try applying for an L.L.M. at some law school... and after that apply for legal jobs (or apply for jobs while taking the LLM). I figured that if I did that, maybe employers would still treat me as someone who came straight out of law school.

Do you think that doing any of those things would be lethal to any hope of a legal career?

Thanks in advance.

California Babe

Re: Seeking advice... would doing this destroy my career?

Postby California Babe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Hikonyan wrote:IDo you think staying away from a legal job for a year or two straight out of law school would look bad to employers?

Yes. Don't do this.

Hikonyan

Postby Hikonyan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:37 pm

So even if I took an L.L.M. at a law school down the road... that won't make up for it?

I was thinking maybe that if I stayed away from law for only 2 years... and then came back to the U.S. and did LLM at a law school, an employer might still see me as someone coming straight out of school.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Hikonyan wrote:So even if I took an L.L.M. at a law school down the road... that won't make up for it?

I was thinking maybe that if I stayed away from law for only 2 years... and then came back to the U.S. and did LLM at a law school, an employer might still see me as someone coming straight out of school.

It makes you seem like you're not interested in practicing law, and I don't think going to school for an LLM will do anything to change that impression. Seems like a completely unnecessary risk if you actually do want to be a lawyer.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:46 pm

lol. The economy is super bad right now in case you haven't noticed. If you do not do a big law SA your 2L summer, you will likely not have that option waiting for you. If you want a legal career, I do not understand why you think drastically eliminating any chance at getting a legal job is a prudent idea. In this economy (really, in any economy), you need to convince employers reasons to hire you (not immediately create blemishes on your resume which will prevent employment). If you do not want to be a lawyer, fine go do whatever. Also, a LLM is almost always not the right answer, and for what you have planned, it certainly is not the right answer (more debt, no better job prospects).

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Waiting is bad. Why hire the law grad who hasn't thought about law in two years when I can hire a fresh-faced newly minted grad who just got done passing the bar and is ready to get to work?

Hikonyan

Postby Hikonyan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks for the candid advice guys... I really like how you are all telling me the way it is as opposed to what I want to hear.

Also, money is not an issue for me (believe it or not). I happen to be in a lucky situation where I don't have any loan debt.

Additionally, if I get an LLM... I won't have to take any loans out for that either. (I have family that tell me they will take care of all that). That was the real reason I was considering it.

I realize that my situation is unique... I was honestly thinking of going to Japan to work on my Japanese language proficiency. (I've already lived there for a year already). I figured that if I focused on my fluency for a couple of years, some firms might snag me up on that.

At the same time, I realize your concerns about what harm waiting could do to me. Thanks for your commments.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 pm

You should have done this before law school. It's too late now.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

do you want to be a lawyer?

if not really, then fuck it who cares, do what you want and write off the whole law school thing as one of those phases that kids go through

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous because there are so few people with knowledge about Japan's legal market.

If you go to a decent school and have decent grades and strike out at OCI during fall of 2L then taking a gap year in between 2L and 3L and spending it at IUC Yokohama has been done before and you can take another crack at OCI when you come back or network your way into something in Japan for the next summer while you're over there.

If you're a 3L already and have nothing lined up and spend a year or two doing JET or some bullshit job like that your legal career is over. I'm pretty sure this would be really difficult to pull off, but if you can get a job as an associate or copy editor at a Japanese firm at least that would be related to legal work. You'd be the English speaking monkey and not really do any legitimate legal work like you would get as a first year associate state-side, but you could at least spin it like a legal job when/if you take another shot at the U.S.

I've worked for a firm in Japan and they're not just looking for language ability, there are over 200 million people in the country that will always speak it better than you and hundreds of japanese qualified lawyers with LLMs who have a lot to offer. The only reason they get LLMs is to qualify to sit for the bar in the US, the LLM itself does not make them that much more marketable than they were before. Thus an LLM would do nothing for you if you're shooting for biglaw if you already have a JD (unless you want tax). You need to bring something else to the table, so focus on getting good grades and otherwise making yourself a marketable candidate for a legal job in the U.S. first and worry about your language abilities second.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Borhas wrote:do you want to be a lawyer?

if not really, then fuck it who cares, do what you want and write off the whole law school thing as one of those phases that kids go through

Return to “Legal Employment”