Do scholarships belong on a resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do scholarships belong on a resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Currently have some time and I am putting together my resume. I have a large merit scholarship to my law school. Does that belong anywhere on my resume? Under honors or anywhere else?

emciosn

Re: Do scholarships belong on a resume?

Postby emciosn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:56 pm

my career services lady told me to put it on there under the school name. I didn't put the actual dollar amount because I thought it would look tacky. I just put the name of the scholarship and approximate amount (third, half, two-thirds, full, something like that). That's just what I did, I would say scholarships belong on your resume.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes, under honors is appropriate. I agree with above poster that approx. % of tuition is better than $X/year.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Only if the scholarship is named (e.g. "Jefferson Scholarship" or "Dean's Scholarship"). I wouldn't list or even approximate the amount.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

[quote="Cavalier"]Only if the scholarship is named (e.g. "Jefferson Scholarship" or "Dean's Scholarship").quote]

Agreed. I assumed that a merit scholarship would be named...

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 pm

"Gradate Academic Scholarship" or the name of the scholarship. $$$ amount seems tacky and my CSO advised against it. Since there is a split opinion I would go the more conservative route.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I have a generic merit scholarship ("Duke Law Scholarship"), which I assumed should be left off a resume. But it looks like our career services is recommending that we include them. Should I just blindly follow the CSO, or would this come off as tacky?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm

I am in the same position. From what I understand it is the maximum merit scholarship that my school awards. But it doesnt have any special unique name...I am not really sure how it should be handled? It is approximately 3/4 tuition.

ajr

Postby ajr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Of course, scholarships belong on a resume; in fact they are an important part of the resume. How else is the potential hiring manager going to know you passed up a chance to go to NU for a full ride at GW? Though the exact amount sounds cheesy, I don't see any harm in 1/3, 1/2, full tuition etc. because there are some scholarships worth 1k-2k as well. How would they know you had $20k a year in scholarship and not a one-time $500 "scholarship"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Basically everyone seems to agree here, and I think everyone is correct, but i'll throw in my 2 cents. I accepted a full ride to a decent undergrad and it usually impresses employers. First, it demonstrates that you could have gone to a "better" school, which helps put you on the same playing field as someone who went to one of those better schools and didn't get as good of a GPA as you, and it demonstrates that you are fiscally responsible, and the less "elitest" employers like to see a kid who knows how to earn his own way.

In fact, the other day my employer was reading my resume to one of his friends, and he emphasized the full scholarship aspect of it. But yeah, put "full" or "1/3", etc., not the number amount.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm

So something like: X Law Scholarship (3/4 Tuition)?

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So something like: X Law Scholarship (3/4 Tuition)?

That's pretty much what I did.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:33 pm

"Merit Scholarship" is a name.

Definately put it on your resume. It means you are so smart, your school paid YOU to learn! Yes, approximate the percentage. Bonus points if it's 100% or "Full."
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So something like: X Law Scholarship (3/4 Tuition)?

That should be fine. Just don't put actual dollar figures.

Return to “Legal Employment”