Bring expensive pen to interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rupert.pupkin

New

Re: Bring expensive pen to interview?

Post by rupert.pupkin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Somewhat related.

Is it okay if I carry my stuff in this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEHMAN-BROS-VICTORI ... 20bbae845f

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Some older lawyers are actually into fancy ass pens in the same way they're into fancy ass suits, etc... One example is my LRW professor (former partner at 2 biglaw firms) who gave us this elaborate fact pattern based around a Montblanc.

So yeah, I'd say don't bring it. 99% chance interviewer won't know what it is, to the other 1% it would be the equivalent of you strolling up in a Rolls.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:48 pm

You've got to make sure they notice that pen.

-Walk in, shake hands with interviewers.

-Have someone burst through the door and deliver your pen on one of these presentation pillows:

-Have the person bow while you inspect the pen.

-Mutter "this is acceptable, you are dismissed" while dismissing them by slowly dismissively waving with the back of your hand

- "Where were we gentlemen?"

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 pm

It doesn't matter. Get one that looks something like this for $10 at your local big-box store and think about something more important:

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:And don't wear cufflinks. Unless your interviewer is wearing them, then wear cufflinks.
Seriously? I haven't worn a proper shirt that doesn't have cufflinks in almsot two decades.

Cuffs with buttons are for high school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 pm

quakeroats wrote:It doesn't matter. Get one that looks something like this for $10 at your local big-box store and think about something more important:

Why the hell would you buy a ten dollar pen for oci interviews?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:57 pm

albanach wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:And don't wear cufflinks. Unless your interviewer is wearing them, then wear cufflinks.
Seriously? I haven't worn a proper shirt that doesn't have cufflinks in almsot two decades.

Cufflinks are for proles. Tabbed cuffs or GTFO

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6ldl9yrL90k/T ... ed%2B2.png

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
quakeroats wrote:It doesn't matter. Get one that looks something like this for $10 at your local big-box store and think about something more important:

Why the hell would you buy a ten dollar pen for oci interviews?
It looks nicer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:00 am

Why the heck are law students so aspie?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 am

Man, I sure hope my classmates are like OP, wasting time worrying whether they should bring fancy pens, or wear cufflinks, or whether they should or shouldn't use a tiebar. While they are pondering these irrelevant dilemmas, I'll be mastering every inch of my resume and writing sample, mapping out good answers to interview hypos, researching the firms, making mental checklists for each interview, etc.

I would classify someone like OP in 2 ways. Either he is SO darn prepared and ready that the only thing left to worry about is his pen. If so, watch out classmates, because this guy is a force to be reckoned with. Prepping for interviews? Ha! Thing of the past. The other category would be one who needs to use a fancy pen to make up for deficiencies in either resume/experience, or personality. Something tells me OP is the latter.

Faceplant

New

Post by Faceplant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 am

I recommend a fountain pen. This will give you an excuse to bring the ink bottle along with. That way you 're not taking any chances with the interviewer NOT noticing that you have refined taste. The whole setup is quite classy and will work as a conversation starter too. Interviewers can't resist asking about your awesome pen and when that chat starts to die down you can whip out the latest edition of the Robb Report. Congratulations, you have just OWNED the interview securing instant BFF status which translates into guaranteed callback+paid summer internship.

winning!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:24 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 am

albanach wrote:

Cufflinks in screener ---> V50 CB. I'm not saying it was the cufflinks, but... c'mon. It was totally the cufflinks.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Man, I sure hope my classmates are like OP, wasting time worrying whether they should bring fancy pens, or wear cufflinks, or whether they should or shouldn't use a tiebar. While they are pondering these irrelevant dilemmas, I'll be mastering every inch of my resume and writing sample, mapping out good answers to interview hypos, researching the firms, making mental checklists for each interview, etc.

I would classify someone like OP in 2 ways. Either he is SO darn prepared and ready that the only thing left to worry about is his pen. If so, watch out classmates, because this guy is a force to be reckoned with. Prepping for interviews? Ha! Thing of the past. The other category would be one who needs to use a fancy pen to make up for deficiencies in either resume/experience, or personality. Something tells me OP is the latter.
This post is even worse than the OP.

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Why the heck are law students so aspie?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 am

Faceplant wrote:I recommend a fountain pen. This will give you an excuse to bring the ink bottle along with. That way you 're not taking any chances with the interviewer NOT noticing that you have refined taste. The whole setup is quite classy and will work as a conversation starter too. Interviewers can't resist asking about your awesome pen and when that chat starts to die down you can whip out the latest edition of the Robb Report. Congratulations, you have just OWNED the interview securing instant BFF status which translates into guaranteed callback+paid summer internship.

winning!
Now we've clarified the pen issue, what brand of ink should you bring?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am

goodolgil wrote:
albanach wrote:

Cufflinks are for proles. Tabbed cuffs or GTFO

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6ldl9yrL90k/T ... ed%2B2.png
Where the hell would you buy a shirt like that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”