Bring expensive pen to interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bring expensive pen to interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I know, it's another asinine OCI question. I own a nice MontBlanc pen that I contemplate bringing to interviews. I don't even know how much it will be visible, other than the instance I reach into my folio for the resume/transcript. Yea or nay?

Jack Smirks

Re: Bring expensive pen to interview?

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Absolutely you need that pen. I fucked up and brought a bic ballpoint into the mix once and I'm still searching for employment.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know, it's another asinine OCI question. I own a nice MontBlanc pen that I contemplate bringing to interviews. I don't even know how much it will be visible, other than the instance I reach into my folio for the resume/transcript. Yea or nay?

HAHAHAHA is this really a question?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know, it's another asinine OCI question. I own a nice MontBlanc pen that I contemplate bringing to interviews. I don't even know how much it will be visible, other than the instance I reach into my folio for the resume/transcript. Yea or nay?
Personally, when I want people to know I come from money, I like to use gold plated paperclips on my writing samples while herpderping the anon feature.

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

If you have to ask this question, your interview problems might be larger than worrying about the proper pen to bring.

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Last edited by bbalcrzy23 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote: it's another asinine OCI question.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 pm

You don't want to stand about for something stupid like an expensive pen. This reminds me of the expensive watch thread. Attract attention to your personality.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Why do you even need to ask this quetion? Of course you don't bring some fancy designer pen to an interview. Worry about your resume, your personality, your experience, etc. That's what they care about. Not what kind of pen you use.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTBLANC-SKELETON- ... 6547wt_905

This pen should make you Cravath secure (at least)

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 pm

A friend of mine tried bringing in a fake MontBlanc...he was thrown out of the interview immediately

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Semi-related to this topic, is it better to present yourself as a person who doesn't have money, but is smart and willing to work his ass off to make something for himself, or a person from a well off background, used to dealing with the kind of people that would be clients?

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Glock wrote:You don't want to stand about for something stupid like an expensive pen. This reminds me of the expensive watch thread. Attract attention to your personality.

Haha I was just thinking of that thread as well. Favorite quote from that thread:

seriouslyinformative wrote:I can never quite understand how it's so difficult for a law student just to be normal. There's always something: Can I wear cufflinks? Can I wear a Rolex? Can I carry an expensive handbag? Why aren't people here content to appear mediocre and just bite the bullet for a few weeks so they can get a job?

Me? I wear my trusty Swiss Army watch. It's professional, dependable, not that expensive, and doesn't draw attention to itself. Really, thats how the rest of your wardrobe should be for OCI.

Pretty much how I feel about this guy.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Semi-related to this topic, is it better to present yourself as a person who doesn't have money, but is smart and willing to work his ass off to make something for himself, or a person from a well off background, used to dealing with the kind of people that would be clients?

This question seems to suggest that appearing to be well off ( I.e. having fancy pens and watches) is mutually exclusive with appearing to not have much money. Couldn't be more false. There are plenty people who are well offwho simply don't make an event out of presenting their money via silly bells and whistles that have no effect on anything. A wealthy guy is entirely capabale of just wearing an average suit and looking entirely normal. Im not sure how one presents himself as not having money short of verbally saying it, or perhaps wearing something that is in tatters.

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Semi-related to this topic, is it better to present yourself as a person who doesn't have money, but is smart and willing to work his ass off to make something for himself, or a person from a well off background, used to dealing with the kind of people that would be clients?

Unless you're doing T&E for high-net-worth individuals, your "clients" at a Biglaw firm will be in-house lawyers and mid-level finance executives who aren't raking in millions (some will make even less than you). You won't be "dealing" with the CEOs and moguls as a junior associate--at most you'll be tasked with groveling in front of their secretaries to get a signature to a boilerplate closing certificate--and you won't get a chance to offer them your fancy pen to sign with, either.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 pm

kaiser wrote:

This question seems to suggest that appearing to be well off ( I.e. having fancy pens and watches) is mutually exclusive with appearing to not have much money. Couldn't be more false. There are plenty people who are well offwho simply don't make an event out of presenting their money via silly bells and whistles that have no effect on anything. A wealthy guy is entirely capabale of just wearing an average suit and looking entirely normal. Im not sure how one presents himself as not having money short of verbally saying it, or perhaps wearing something that is in tatters.

But are tatters necessarily a bad thing? :wink:

Eco

Postby Eco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Don't bring it lol. You'll like like a douche.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Follow David Boies's example--Timex watch and cheap pen.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Bring this:

--ImageRemoved--

It shows you mean business.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Drinker Biddle saw me whip out a Bic and they ended the interview right then and there.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:39 pm

And don't wear cufflinks. Unless your interviewer is wearing them, then wear cufflinks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:43 pm

i bring one of those eraser pens.....just in case i make a mistake

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:47 pm

i use pharmaceutical pens or TD ameritrade pens. it depends on how i feel. do i feel like i want to show that i care for others and want to help or im about my business.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:21 pm

God I hope I never have to work with you.

Return to “Legal Employment”