suit or business casual for informational interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

suit or business casual for informational interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 pm

The meeting is set up for lunch next week at a franchise restaurant (applebees, olive garden, etc.) so its a place where suits are not called for. Also, my SA is business casual and I will be leaving the office for this meeting. My contact knows that I am at a firm and since most firms in my city only require suits for court, client meetings, ect.. I feel like I would look over dressed for the meeting in a full suit. Of course, I am looking for something other than my SA firm so if TLS recomends a suit to impress this guy then I will certianly rock the suit. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Re: suit or business casual for informational interview?

Post by crazyblink653 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The meeting is set up for lunch next week at a franchise restaurant (applebees, olive garden, etc.) so its a place where suits are not called for. Also, my SA is business casual and I will be leaving the office for this meeting. My contact knows that I am at a firm and since most firms in my city only require suits for court, client meetings, ect.. I feel like I would look over dressed for the meeting in a full suit. Of course, I am looking for something other than my SA firm so if TLS recomends a suit to impress this guy then I will certianly rock the suit. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
i would call/email the person you're meeting with and ask what would be appropriate attire. just say where you work currently the attire is business casual and you wanted to double check that this would be acceptable for your meeting. i've done this sort of thing before, and it's never produced a negative reaction. plus it helps assuage some of your dress-anxiety.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

maybe hit the middle ground, tie but no jacket?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:maybe hit the middle ground, tie but no jacket?

are you serious? its jacket and no tie. you look like an idiot if you have a tie and no jacket.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The meeting is set up for lunch next week at a franchise restaurant (applebees, olive garden, etc.) so its a place where suits are not called for. Also, my SA is business casual and I will be leaving the office for this meeting. My contact knows that I am at a firm and since most firms in my city only require suits for court, client meetings, ect.. I feel like I would look over dressed for the meeting in a full suit. Of course, I am looking for something other than my SA firm so if TLS recomends a suit to impress this guy then I will certianly rock the suit. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
If you're going to a chain restaurant, just wear the business casual that you're wearing anyways. Dress to the setting. After all, if the contact said, "let's meet at Chipotle," you certainly wouldn't wear a suit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

tie no shirt ftw

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:maybe hit the middle ground, tie but no jacket?
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”