Cold emailing alum for info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yung

Cold emailing alum for info

Postby yung » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Hey everyone I got a few questions on how I should approach emailing an alum for information of the firm he or she is in. On my top choice firm's website I found that there are attorneys that not only went to my lawschool but also my college. If I just want to ask them questions regarding the firm, their experience, and if they have any tips on the firm's interview (not looking for them to pass on my resume) how would I go about doing this?

NYC Law

Re: Cold emailing alum for info

Postby NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Email them and ask your questions?

Glock

Postby Glock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:57 pm

yung wrote:Hey everyone I got a few questions on how I should approach emailing an alum for information of the firm he or she is in. On my top choice firm's website I found that there are attorneys that not only went to my lawschool but also my college. If I just want to ask them questions regarding the firm, their experience, and if they have any tips on the firm's interview (not looking for them to pass on my resume) how would I go about doing this?

You want to ask them about their practice and about the culture at their firm. Leave out the part about interview tips. You want it to look forward but classy. If you just identify the bottom line (that you are using them only as a stepping stone to get to their hiring partner) it can make you look bad.

I've had the best results with "Hi I am XXXX from school XXX and I am writing you to inquire about your firm's culture. I am also interesting in learning more about your practice in XXX. If you are available for a brief conversation or lunch I will be happy to work around your schedule". Etc.

Don't mention interviews. Don't mention resumes. Don't ask for information on how to be a better candidate. Just act like a good candidate in front of them and learn info about them and the firm. Good listening skills are key here.

Some will ignore you, some will say they don't have time, others will be receptive. Follow through with the receptive ones. After you meet them and they like you THEN they will ask for your resume or at least drop a note on your behalf to the hiring partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey thanks for the reply, I am also wondering would i write anything differently if I already got an interview at the firm lined up?

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey thanks for the reply, I am also wondering would i write anything differently if I already got an interview at the firm lined up?

I guess you mention it but just act like you are trying to learn about the firm to decide if you want it.

Return to “Legal Employment”