Why X City?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dusk2k2

Why X City?

Postby dusk2k2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

How do you answer this question if you literally have never stepped foot in the city before and do not know anyone from the area?

Oban

Re: Why X City?

Postby Oban » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

If you've never been there/don't know anyone, unless you lie(or are an amazing candidate) you are kind of boned.

Exceptions: NYC, possibly Chicago.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:50 am

Focus on the firms local offerings. Rather than say, "I love the RedSox," say "I'm very interested in WilmerHale's Boston office because of it's large securities litigation practice, which is something I've always _____."

kipsbayeagle

Postby kipsbayeagle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am

You are not boned at all. Many people move to new cities for school to experience a different part of the country. It can even act to your advantage if you are from somewhere else, since it most likely means less distractions during law schools, and can even help you stand out amongst the crowd of people who have lived in the city,s region their whole life.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:56 am

kipsbayeagle wrote:You are not boned at all. Many people move to new cities for school to experience a different part of the country. It can even act to your advantage if you are from somewhere else, since it most likely means less distractions during law schools, and can even help you stand out amongst the crowd of people who have lived in the city,s region their whole life.

Translation: Hire me to the firm's office in X city because I'll be so isolated and anti-social that I'll have no choice but to bill 2200 hours.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Cupidity wrote:
kipsbayeagle wrote:You are not boned at all. Many people move to new cities for school to experience a different part of the country. It can even act to your advantage if you are from somewhere else, since it most likely means less distractions during law schools, and can even help you stand out amongst the crowd of people who have lived in the city,s region their whole life.

Translation: Hire me to the firm's office in X city because I'll be so isolated and anti-social that I'll have no choice but to bill 2200 hours.

He thinks OP is referring to the "Why X?" law school admission essay.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Oban wrote:If you've never been there/don't know anyone, unless you lie(or are an amazing candidate) you are kind of boned.

Exceptions: NYC, DC, possibly Chicago.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

He thinks OP is referring to the "Why X?" law school admission essay.

It was only their third post, I was trying to play nice.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Cupidity wrote:Translation: Hire me to the firm's office in X city because I'll be so isolated and anti-social that I'll have no choice but to bill 2200 hours.

Totes going to use this if I get any Boston interviews.

Success or failure will be attributed to you sir.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Just lie and say you have family here and all your cousins go to X school. What are they going to do, check your family history? lol

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Smaller markets are notoriously suspect of outsiders, carpetbaggers and those who want to repay loans and split. Bigger markets, Chi/Boston/LA are slightly less concerned but connections are still quite important. I've done several interviews so far and everyone has been hammering me on ties(and I had them). I cannot imagine doing well in those interviews if my interview was my first time in the city.

Return to “Legal Employment”