Explicitly make ties to market known in cover letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Explicitly make ties to market known in cover letter?

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

If my resume shows my ties (college, but nothing about the fact that I was also there for high school and grade school), but I am mass mailing, is it alright for me to throw in a "I am originally from Chicago and am eager to return closer to my family" or something like that? If so, does this go within the first couple of lines or can I just add it towards the end?

lawgod

Re: Explicitly make ties to market known in cover letter?

Postby lawgod » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes, put it in. Something like "I grew up and lived in chicago for 20 years, and plan to practice there."

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:52 pm

The first paragraph of my cover letter is something like: "I am a rising student at XXX and am writing because I am interested in working for your firm. I spent my summer doing XXX. As a lifelong resident of XXX, I hope to work in XXX after my graduation in May 2013."

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:The first paragraph of my cover letter is something like: "I am a rising student at XXX and am writing because I am interested in working for your firm. I spent my summer doing XXX. As a lifelong resident of XXX, I hope to work in XXX after my graduation in May 2013."

Thats not bad, thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”