Bring Cover Letter to OCI interview?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bring Cover Letter to OCI interview??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 pm

I see a few firms are asking for cover letters for the 20 min screening interview. My school uses the lottery system.... what kind of cover letter should I send? Just something stating my interested in the firm? How should I close it off, since I'm not really asking for an interview (unless I can ask for the callback)?

alumniguy

Bronze

Re: Bring Cover Letter to OCI interview??

Post by alumniguy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 am

Your cover letter needs to convey (i) that you've researched the firm and understand their practice and (ii) are actually interested in their practice and (iii) that you can contribute something to the firm if you are hired - i.e., why should they hire you.

You don't need a formal close on this type of cover letter. It should be a relatively short and succinct piece that the firm will likely use to (i) evaluate your writing skills and (ii) distinguish between serious and non-serious candidates.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

I gererally follow the folling format:

Dear Mr. _____

1. My name is _____, I go to X, and I'm interested in an SA position at Firm Y's office Z.

2. I'm interested in your A practice, in particular practice groups B and C. I'm also interested in your firm because of the reputation your firm has for N, demonstrated by award O. I'm also interested in firm Y's commitment to mentoring its SA's and young associates via, (described their mentoring process from their website).

3. About you.

3.5 Generalized pro-bono commitment. For example, if you've ever done community service involving disabled persons say, "As someone who has been involved with Q, I appreaciate your firms pro bono commitment to organization R and would be interested in volunteering my services to them while an associate."

4. I appreciate your consideration, I have also submitted a resume and grade sheet, I look foward to discussing the possibility of employment.

5. Sincerely.

A cover letter is a great opportunity to show you are actually interested, and to narrow the discussion at interviews. It gives them topics to ask you about. It also gives you a chance to show you bothered to google them.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

Sounds a lot better than my cover letters. Mine generally go in this format-

"Hi, I'm a 2L, I like your firm because of X, I am interested in X practices.
*Next 3 paragraphs all detail my work experience*
Appreciate your consideration, blah blah...
Sincerely"

Meh.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 am

Cupidity wrote:I gererally follow the folling format:

Dear Mr. _____

1. My name is _____, I go to X, and I'm interested in an SA position at Firm Y's office Z.

2. I'm interested in your A practice, in particular practice groups B and C. I'm also interested in your firm because of the reputation your firm has for N, demonstrated by award O. I'm also interested in firm Y's commitment to mentoring its SA's and young associates via, (described their mentoring process from their website).

3. About you.

3.5 Generalized pro-bono commitment. For example, if you've ever done community service involving disabled persons say, "As someone who has been involved with Q, I appreaciate your firms pro bono commitment to organization R and would be interested in volunteering my services to them while an associate."

4. I appreciate your consideration, I have also submitted a resume and grade sheet, I look foward to discussing the possibility of employment.

5. Sincerely.

A cover letter is a great opportunity to show you are actually interested, and to narrow the discussion at interviews. It gives them topics to ask you about. It also gives you a chance to show you bothered to google them.
Huge +1 to all of this. I'd just add that it's okay to leave off the pro bono thing if you don't have anything to show or if the firm has no pro bono commitment at all. (The latter is kind of rare, but just saying.) You're probably better off if you have pro bono experience to show off, but it's not a 100% necessity to do it that way. Hopefully you have some other kind of experience to show off in its place though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

along the same lines: if a cover letter was required for bidding should you bring a copy of it to the screener? I plan to bring my resume on some fancy paper but I don't see any value added by brining the cover letter.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:along the same lines: if a cover letter was required for bidding should you bring a copy of it to the screener? I plan to bring my resume on some fancy paper but I don't see any value added by brining the cover letter.
You are correct that you probably won't ever need it, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to bring an extra copy along with you. Keep it in your portfolio along with your resume and don't offer it unless specifically requested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”