Explaining a pass/failed class at EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Explaining a pass/failed class at EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 pm

I go to Michigan, which allows students to retroactively pass/fail two classes after we see our grades. I took an upper-level class last winter and received a relatively low grade, which I then pass/failed (the annoying add-on to this story is that I later found out the Prof calculated my grade wrong and it's higher, but now it's stuck in pass/fail mode). The class was not on a topic that firms will care about at all- think a "Law and X" type class- but it is still there with a fat "P" next to it.

I assume I'll be getting questions about this at EIW, and so I want to have a response prepared. But I'm worried going into a whole story about the prof miscalculating, and not realizing until after the pass/fail will sound whiny, like I'm making an excuse, etc. Any advice for how to approach this?

Edited to de-crazify.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Explaining a pass/failed class at EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:43 pm

You seem way too worked up over this. Firm interviews are not as intense as you think. Most of your interviewers probably won't ever look at your transcript, just at the GPA on your resume. If someone does happen to ask why you pass/failed a class, offer a generic excuse without getting flustered and you will be fine. In the dozens of screeners/callbacks I did, I only twice had an interviewer ask about the one glaringly bad grade on my transcript. I explained, and they generally responded with "Oh yeah, I remember those kind of exams, that sucks, etc." and moved on.

pleasetryagain

Re: Explaining a pass/failed class at EIW

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to Michigan, which allows students to retroactively pass/fail two classes after we see our grades. I took an upper-level class last winter and received a relatively low grade, which I then pass/failed (the annoying add-on to this story is that I later found out the Prof calculated my grade wrong and it's higher, but now it's stuck in pass/fail mode). The class was not on a topic that firms will care about at all- think a "Law and X" type class- but it is still there with a fat "P" next to it.

I assume I'll be getting questions about this at EIW, and so I want to have a response prepared. But I'm worried going into a whole story about the prof miscalculating, and not realizing until after the pass/fail will sound whiny, like I'm making an excuse, etc. Any advice for how to approach this?

Edited to de-crazify.

so Michigan lets you inflate your GPA by cancelling out your two worst grades? Do-overz.. awesome.

Return to “Legal Employment”