3L OCI Screener Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
normn3116

3L OCI Screener Help

Postby normn3116 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Stats--3.3 at an upper T1 (but not T14) school.

I managed to get a pre-select for a firm in a tertiary market (100 attorney firm in Central Illinois...most people here I guess would call it midlaw). The firm is here holding interviews for 2L summers and 3L positions starting in fall 2012. They have 19 slots total. Either way, they came to OCI and are interviewing something like 8 3Ls. I have a couple of questions regarding how to go about the screener and what to expect:

1--Does it hold fairly true that if the firm is here interviewing 3Ls, they are looking to hire? A firm wouldn't look at 3Ls for show, would they? Further, they wouldn't have picked me for pre-select if they weren't legitimately interested, would they? I get the feeling that some firms did that during 2L OCI with me, just to fill up interview slots.

2--I have a couple minor ties to the area, but one major one...my wife has a job lead in the market as well. A high school teaching position for the 2012-2013 school year that is hers if she wants it, doing exactly what she wants to do--her dream job. How much should I emphasize that in the interview?

3--The firm I am summering with (a small shop in suburban Chicago) will not know if they would have the money to bring me on until spring 2012, but plenty are willing to be references for me. I'm not screwed by not having the offer in hand, am I?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

normn3116

Re: 3L OCI Screener Help

Postby normn3116 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 pm

OK, to add a little more information. I found out one of the interviewers is the hiring partner. The other is an associate. Does this change anything? What should my approach be? I really want this job, as it would be ideal (location and career-wise) for both me and my wife.

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:21 pm

normn3116 wrote:OK, to add a little more information. I found out one of the interviewers is the hiring partner. The other is an associate. Does this change anything? What should my approach be? I really want this job, as it would be ideal (location and career-wise) for both me and my wife.

i would tell them all the above, but not sound like begging for a job. you've got great reasons for wanting the job for now, but also show reasons for long term commitment.

normn3116

Postby normn3116 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 pm

zachanson, thanks. This firm does primarily tort defense, which is what I want to do and what my resume and transcript are geared towards. Of courses that are litigation-centric, my grades are very good. Those that are transaction-based, however, not so good.

I just want to make sure I nail this thing. Intuition tells me this may be my best shot at a job for some time.

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 pm

normn3116 wrote:zachanson, thanks. This firm does primarily tort defense, which is what I want to do and what my resume and transcript are geared towards. Of courses that are litigation-centric, my grades are very good. Those that are transaction-based, however, not so good.

I just want to make sure I nail this thing. Intuition tells me this may be my best shot at a job for some time.

i think everybody would agree you are very fitting for this firm.
just make sure you point out all the above in the short interview. sometimes interviewers are unprepared, then they wouldn't know you are a good fit unless you tell them during the interview.

otherwise just prepare, do as much research as you can about the firm, and don't sweat too much, try and connect with the interviewer like humans.

Return to “Legal Employment”