Anyone Heard From NJ Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 pm

I guess no news today because of the storm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No updates here either. Had CB's with Sills and Porzio. CB's with Bressler and Cole Schotz at the end of September. Cole Schotz CB's are scheduled into October(!). Rejection from Archer. Silence from the rest.
Bressler already sent a CB? I interviewed with them last week. How long was your timetable? Wondering if I should call them. How long was the timetable for Cole? I sent my materials to them in July and still have heard nothing.
I'm the poster above. My NJ CB's were all through a mass-mailing I did at the very end of July/beginning of August as those firms do not come to my OCI. I also just snagged a Lowenstein screener (which they specifically called a screener) a couple days before my Cole Schotz/Bressler interviews by following up on my mass-mailing.

MVP transfer with major ties to NJ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Any new news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:13 pm

I've called a few firms and they seem to be in the process of reviewing CL's, resumes, etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of them have not extended many, if any, CB's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Norris McLaughlin & Marcus request for interviews after mass mail by email. T30 top 25% secondary journal and some work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Sills - Had CB today and I think it went well
Bressler- CB coming up in a few weeks
Porzio - About 3 weeks since CB but haven't heard anything
Norris McLaughlin - Emailed yesterday to set up screener
Proskauer Newark - CB next week
Patton Boggs Newark - Had CB a few days ago and I think it went very well

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Norris McLaughlin & Marcus request for interviews after mass mail by email. T30 top 25% secondary journal and some work experience.
When did you e-mail them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:53 am

Cole Schotz interview request via email (from mass mailing) yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Norris McLaughlin & Marcus request for interviews after mass mail by email. T30 top 25% secondary journal and some work experience.
When did you e-mail them?
End of July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cole Schotz interview request via email (from mass mailing) yesterday.
Really? Nice. What was your timetable? Do you go to school in the area?

This is probably the one firm that I want to work for. I've already visited earlier this summer and sent out my materials toward the end of July. I recently corresponded with the recruiter but she said she would get back to me soon. I guess I'm just too impatient! lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cole Schotz interview request via email (from mass mailing) yesterday.

This is probably the one firm that I want to work for. I've already visited earlier this summer and sent out my materials toward the end of July. I recently corresponded with the recruiter but she said she would get back to me soon. I guess I'm just too impatient! lol.
Emailed in mid-August. Not at a Jersey school but have Jersey ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 pm

A&G callback. Heard via phone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:52 am

Anybody know anything about Lowenstein's offer rates? NALP has 12/14 for 2010; is that typical, or could it have improved?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 am

Little off topic but, for those who have knowledge in this field,

how is the NJ legal market in comparison to TX legal markets (focusing on Houston)

I hear that it is easier to get jobs in Houston, is this true or does this have no merit?

Given that you attend Rutgers Vs. UH Law Center

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I have a Cole Schotz CB at the end of September, and I know they have them scheduled into October (at least, that's what they told me on the phone). So if you went in already, just keep in mind it might be a while since they hire so few summers.

Here is my NJ firm update. T10 transfer, VERY strong NJ ties:
Sills - had CB in late August; followed up this week - silence
Porzio - had CB in late August; followed up this week - told they were still doing CB's, but would let people know in the next few weeks
Cole Schotz - CB scheduled at the end of September
Bressler - CB scheduled at the end of September
Lowenstein - CB-style screener at the end of September

Rejections - A&G (I'm actually curious of the stats of people with A&G CB's)
Silence - Day Pitney, connell foley, NMM, McElroy Deutsch, Latham NJ resume drop at OCI (even though I don't know if they hire SA's)
Did Not Apply - Proskauer Newark, Patton Boggs Newark (both offices were too specialized)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Little off topic but, for those who have knowledge in this field,

how is the NJ legal market in comparison to TX legal markets (focusing on Houston)

I hear that it is easier to get jobs in Houston, is this true or does this have no merit?

Given that you attend Rutgers Vs. UH Law Center
GTFO 0L.

Here's another Lowenstein question: if you don't get one of these magical on-the-spot offers, they do still give offers after CBs..... right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know anything about Lowenstein's offer rates? NALP has 12/14 for 2010; is that typical, or could it have improved?
Keep in mind that may reflect the fact that they usually take at least one 1L. I'm too lazy to look it up, but does it specifically state that those offers are for 2L's or the entire summer class, which includes 1L's?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know anything about Lowenstein's offer rates? NALP has 12/14 for 2010; is that typical, or could it have improved?
Keep in mind that may reflect the fact that they usually take at least one 1L. I'm too lazy to look it up, but does it specifically state that those offers are for 2L's or the entire summer class, which includes 1L's?
It's sorta ambiguous:
# 2010 Summer 2Ls considered for associate offers: 14
# offers made: 12
Hire school term clerks? N
1Ls hired? Y
To me that at least strongly implies there were 12 associate offers made to 2Ls. (What offers do 1Ls get - to come back as a 2L?)

I'm just concerned because they would be my top choice for sure, but most of the other firms I'm looking at are "just don't fuck up" firms, whereas with Lowenstein no one has said outright "we generally plan to hire all our summers," and some people have made references to "if you get an offer." If there's a chance of getting cut for reasons beyond your control, that's a big risk to take, even if it's your favorite firm. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:40 pm

I have one of those mid-August offers from Lowenstein, but I really just started doing the bulk of my CB's from OCI, and the Lowenstein deadline would fall before I even get a single decision from my OCI CB's. I'm going to write them to ask for an extension, since the deadline is next week. I haven't given a moment of thought to which firm I would pick and what choice would be best since I'm still in the midst of the whole process. They will have to understand that I need at least some time to consider my options alongside one another. And if they do not understand that, then it says enough about them for me to conclude that I wouldn't want to work there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:49 pm

is it way too late to mass mail NJ firms? I'm originally from NJ, worked in Newark this summer- thought I would do better with OCI in NYC and law school market so didn't apply to NJ firms when I should have this summer. (T30, Top 15%, LR)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it way too late to mass mail NJ firms? I'm originally from NJ, worked in Newark this summer- thought I would do better with OCI in NYC and law school market so didn't apply to NJ firms when I should have this summer. (T30, Top 15%, LR)
It is certainly late, but never too late. For example, Norris McLaughlin just emailed me for an interview, saying that they had just started the process. So the bigger ones (i.e. Lowenstein, Riker, etc,) are probably wrapping it up, but some of the smaller ones may still consider you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it way too late to mass mail NJ firms? I'm originally from NJ, worked in Newark this summer- thought I would do better with OCI in NYC and law school market so didn't apply to NJ firms when I should have this summer. (T30, Top 15%, LR)
It is certainly late, but never too late. For example, Norris McLaughlin just emailed me for an interview, saying that they had just started the process. So the bigger ones (i.e. Lowenstein, Riker, etc,) are probably wrapping it up, but some of the smaller ones may still consider you.
I agree with this, except I think even the "bigger" ones are worth mailing (except Riker if you're female, but that's for other reasons).

Also -- got a post-CB Porzio rejection. Confirms that I'm a bad interviewer (which I've figured out since), but I really couldn't see myself there. Was just too "specialized" even though the people were super nice and it seems like an awesome office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with this, except I think even the "bigger" ones are worth mailing (except Riker if you're female, but that's for other reasons).

Also -- got a post-CB Porzio rejection. Confirms that I'm a bad interviewer (which I've figured out since), but I really couldn't see myself there. Was just too "specialized" even though the people were super nice and it seems like an awesome office.
Porzio finally made decisions? I interviewed over a month ago and haven't heard anything. Was your decision via snail mail or email?

I remember you saying that about Riker, but I don't think you ever explained why. I'd like to learn more, but I guess that, since I never managed to line up an interview there, that its not too big a deal (although I'm not a female).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:40 pm

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do about Lowenstein right now. The offer expires next Friday, yet I just started my OCI callbacks this past week. They go all throughout September. I have about 10 vault firm interviews either coming up or pending a decision. Am I honestly supposed to just accept this Lowenstein offer out of anxiety that none of the Vault firm interviews will yield offers? The thing is, I really liked Lowenstein and would seriously consider them given my love for NJ and the extent to which I enjoyed my visit. But I barely have any basis for comparison at this point, as I have just started visiting other firms. What would you guys suggest? Just calling and asking for a deadline extension?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Porzio finally made decisions? I interviewed over a month ago and haven't heard anything. Was your decision via snail mail or email?

I remember you saying that about Riker, but I don't think you ever explained why. I'd like to learn more, but I guess that, since I never managed to line up an interview there, that its not too big a deal (although I'm not a female).
Snail mail. I followed up with them earlier this week and they said decisions would be coming "soon". I guess this was soon.

Answer on Riker: I worked with someone this summer that was a former associate at Riker who told me stories about how they treat women who get pregnant and have kids (said associate had been there for at least 7 years before she left and was one of the people who conducted OCI interviews, so this wasn't someone who was there for a short period of time and should have known she was on the way out anyway). Riker is VERY much a "boys club", and what she had to say was enough to make me not apply there. But I guess if you're a guy, it's fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”