Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Anyone Heard From NJ Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accepted an offer from Riker Danzig. First poster with offer. Stats above.

Congrats! Do you know if they gave all their offers out??

I didn't ask, but I don't think so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I withdrew my candidacy from a few of my pending NJ firms. Sills Cummis CB was almost a month ago, so its essentially off my radar for having taken so long. Porzio was 6 weeks ago so the same thing applies. Not going to just sit around and wait when other deadlines are approaching. Cancelled my Bressler CB as well. Hopefully this opens up interview spots for others.

Congratulations! Where will you be going?

Haven't decided yet actually. The only NJ-based firm I was seriously considering was Lowenstein, but I had to let their offer deadline expire since they made the offer way early. I have a few NY options on the table, but also an offer from Proskauer NJ, so if I do stay in NJ, Proskauer is where I would be. But no final decision just yet.

Congrats! However, the bolded is why I think the NJ firms take so long; most people really don't consider them over the NYC firms (or the specialized NJ firms like Proskauer/Patton Boggs that pay more). They know they only have a limited number of offers and will probably only be able to pry one T14 person each from the lure of NYC. Heck, even at my last NYC CB when I mentioned I was interviewing in NJ, at least one person I spoke to said "but you know it's better to start in NYC -- it's much easier to move into NJ down the line."

I think this also has to do with Lowenstein's "early offers" this year to certain candidates -- they know they compete with NYC firms and the only way to get the top candidates to choose them over NYC is to play "beat the clock" (not that there aren't other reasons to choose them over NYC as well; but that's certainly one of them).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I withdrew my candidacy from a few of my pending NJ firms. Sills Cummis CB was almost a month ago, so its essentially off my radar for having taken so long. Porzio was 6 weeks ago so the same thing applies. Not going to just sit around and wait when other deadlines are approaching. Cancelled my Bressler CB as well. Hopefully this opens up interview spots for others.

Congratulations! Where will you be going?

Haven't decided yet actually. The only NJ-based firm I was seriously considering was Lowenstein, but I had to let their offer deadline expire since they made the offer way early. I have a few NY options on the table, but also an offer from Proskauer NJ, so if I do stay in NJ, Proskauer is where I would be. But no final decision just yet.

Congrats! However, the bolded is why I think the NJ firms take so long; most people really don't consider them over the NYC firms (or the specialized NJ firms like Proskauer/Patton Boggs that pay more). They know they only have a limited number of offers and will probably only be able to pry one T14 person each from the lure of NYC. Heck, even at my last NYC CB when I mentioned I was interviewing in NJ, at least one person I spoke to said "but you know it's better to start in NYC -- it's much easier to move into NJ down the line."

I think this also has to do with Lowenstein's "early offers" this year to certain candidates -- they know they compete with NYC firms and the only way to get the top candidates to choose them over NYC is to play "beat the clock" (not that there aren't other reasons to choose them over NYC as well; but that's certainly one of them).

I've also heard quite often how it is easier to start in NY and eventually end up in NJ than the reverse. I'm sure that subconsciously factored into my decision (though Proskauer and Patton Boggs aren't NJ firms, so I don't think the same notion applies).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Has anyone heard from Lindabury? Also, does anyone know their salary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Lindabury? Also, does anyone know their salary?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:28 am

so the purpose of these forums is to help others? correct? put the job search in perspective and clue in others to where they may stand in the process. we all know how agonizing this is, and these posts can help get rid of some of the pain.

this is why i am a little annoyed that the poster with the riker offer has disappeared.

that is all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 am

Email ding from Porzio. Applied about a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Bumping for info regarding Archer & Greiner decisions

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 pm

anything from Connell, Sills?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping for info regarding Archer & Greiner decisions

Archer sent out first round of offers last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 pm

My only outstanding NJ firm is Porzio, which I will likely cancel on since I have some good offers already. I interviewed with Porzio nearly 2 months ago so I can barely remember it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Any offers from Bressler?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Also received a ding from Porzio. I really liked the firm too...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also received a ding from Porzio. I really liked the firm too...

Sigh.... +1 (to both the ding and liking the firm)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from Bressler?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Email ding from Porzio. Applied about a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anything from Connell, Sills?

I e-mailed Sills about a week ago and they said I was still under consideration (had a CB in August). Didn't sound like they had made offers yet.

Never heard anything from Connell.

No idea what's going on with any other firms, but I was hoping for more of an update besides Porzio dings (which I got months ago).

lawbanshee

Postby lawbanshee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 am

Congrats! However, the bolded is why I think the NJ firms take so long; most people really don't consider them over the NYC firms (or the specialized NJ firms like Proskauer/Patton Boggs that pay more).

Proskauer just fired a breast cancer victim for taking time off:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-1 ... ation.html

Sounds like a lovely place to work- where do I sign up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Had a Connell OCI screener this week... wonder how long it takes them to decide on CBs. Really liked them, so I am hopeful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Turned down Proskauer Newark and Patton Boggs Newark today. Very tough to do, but I hope this means good news for others.

Good luck all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Turned down Proskauer Newark and Patton Boggs Newark today. Very tough to do, but I hope this means good news for others.

Good luck all.

Where did you end going? I actually just got an NYC offer, but I'm still going to see what happens with the NJ firms over the next week or so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Post CB ding from Riker via snail mail. And I wanted it so bad...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm

When did you receive the riker ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Any updates from Bressler this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you receive the riker ding?

Plus oneeeeeee

Return to “Legal Employment”