Callback Mistake

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Mistake

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm

I have a callback at a firm I'm interested in, but I've hit a major snag. I want to do litigation, but I have a resume that reads like a transactional attorney: I'm a former public accountant, a CPA, yada yada yada.

In the cover letter, I indicated that I preferred litigation, and I explained why. I'm not opposed to doing transactional work (I just need a job!), but I do prefer litigation. When they called me for a callback, they said they were going to interview me for the one transactional spot, and I indicated that was okay.

I have a friend that works at the firm (and is on the hiring committee). Apparently, they're now concerned that I'm not sure what I want, because the cover letter says litigation, but in the phone I agreed to transactional. She leaked that to me (the rest of the hiring committee doesn't know I know her).

Any advice on how to address this in the interview?

Aston2412

Re: Callback Mistake

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 pm

You would take the transactional job I'm assuming?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Aston2412 wrote:You would take the transactional job I'm assuming?

OP here. Yes, I would take it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:You would take the transactional job I'm assuming?

OP here. Yes, I would take it.
Then what's the problem? They want you for trans, not lit. Suck it up and either go elsewhere or try to weasel your way into lit during the summer.

Eta: maybe I don't understand what you're saying. If the preference =/= to the slot explanation is your problem, just BS about wanting to get a feel for li since you think you understand trans or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't understand they would read your cover letter, then offer you a transactional interview anyway, then question your motives.

Go talk to some transactional lawyer (or pretend to), and then when you have your interview, explain that during 1L you didn't get an idea of what transactional was, but now that you know, you absolutely want to do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Yeah, I'm someone who is going to express a preference for litigation but cover my bases by saying I don't know too much about transactional because it's not taught in 1L and blah blah and I would be open to learning more (probably more useful for firms that allow rotations for SAs).

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I'm someone who is going to express a preference for litigation but cover my bases by saying I don't know too much about transactional because it's not taught in 1L and blah blah and I would be open to learning more (probably more useful for firms that allow rotations for SAs).

Considering you're interviewing for a transactional job, I wouldn't frame it like this -- they're going to want assurances that you actually want transactional. Much better to say, "1L only really teaches students about litigation, so I thought that was what I wanted to do when I drafted the cover letter. However, upon looking further into transactional practices, I recognized that transactional work better fit my strengths and skill sets. Here's why: . . ."

And so on and so forth. It actually spins it into a positive because you get to highlight all of your qualifications in the most positive light.

Just remember: you have to take things one offer at a time. You can tell every other firm that you'd rather work in their litigation department and continue in that manner. Until then, get yourself the transactional job that's been made available.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 pm

^^

Oops, I made the post you're quoting. I'm not the OP. I was just referring to general strategy.

Return to “Legal Employment”