near bottom of class at davis...need job help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

near bottom of class at davis...need job help

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:44 am

1. OCI: not in the bottom 10 percent but somewhat close to it. I have applied to several firms through OCI and surprisingly got 2 preselects at 2 decent firms...i submitted 9 bids for round one. We'll see how the rest of the rounds go. I need advice on interviews right now as I believe I talk fast and get nervous easily. Anyone have any threads/websites/resources on the best tips for OCI/non-oci law job interviews?

2. Non-OCI:When should I start mass mailing firms/DA offices/government stuff in my region to try and get non-oci jobs? I hear these kind of places dont hire till much later. What's the best way to find out these employers? How do I know what government jobs are available out there? There are directories for small-medium sized law firms out there so that should make it easy. Other ways to find non-oci jobs?

3. Non-OCI: if all else fails, I will have to tap extremely hard into some of my connections and try to forward my resume to all my family and friends and have them forward it to as many attorneys as they know...goal here is to get my resume into as many attorney's hands as possible..i mean i only need 1 law job for summer 2012. My grades are horrendous and I feel that this is the MAIN and BEST way I will get a job...thoughts?

Aston2412

Bronze

Re: near bottom of class at davis...need job help

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 am

Start e-mailing non-OCI firms now. Start e-mailing the firms that you didn't bid on now. You need to cover as much ground as possible right now. When you're below median it's a numbers game - as in how many firms can you e-mail. You're hoping for a non-zero conversion rate.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 am

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am

For interviews ask your friends to interview you. Tell them to literally ask you anything. I hear (from people that have been through screeners with law firms) that interviewers will say ANYTHING to you to get a reaction - even telling you they didn't know why they were interviewing you because your school isn't good enough.

Also, if you know any upperclassmen who have done interviews, get them to help out. They can ask questions based on their own personal experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”