typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 pm

A potential employer had a small typo in the subject line of an email to me - should I fix it in the subject line of my "RE: X" reply?

I dont want to send them a letter with the subject line all typoed, but I dont want them to think Im smug for knowing how to spell. Think maybe they wont even notice they spelled it wrong in the original subject?

Is this just not important at all?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 pm

not important...

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby tww909 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 pm

given some of the posts on this board i wonder how that guy got a jerb in the first place.

please don't fix it. nobody will hold their own error against you, but they might hold you fixing it against you.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A potential employer had a small typo in the subject line of an email to me - should I fix it in the subject line of my "RE: X" reply?

I dont want to send them a letter with the subject line all typoed, but I dont want them to think Im smug for knowing how to spell. Think maybe they wont even notice they spelled it wrong in the original subject?

Is this just not important at all?


People are pretty conditioned to the idea that Re: XXX means that XXX was the title of the mail they sent.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A potential employer had a small typo in the subject line of an email to me - should I fix it in the subject line of my "RE: X" reply?

I dont want to send them a letter with the subject line all typoed, but I dont want them to think Im smug for knowing how to spell. Think maybe they wont even notice they spelled it wrong in the original subject?

Is this just not important at all?


People are pretty conditioned to the idea that Re: XXX means that XXX was the title of the mail they sent.


Re: XXX [sic]

User avatar
buddyblack
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby buddyblack » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Re: XXX [sic]


Absolutely correct.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby schooner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Change the Subject line entirely.

Instead put something like "following up on your email / Firstname Lastname's application" (use a helpful subject line, but make it entirely different). I wouldn't worry about correcting it in the part of your reply email that quotes him, but you can if you want.

I do this a lot at work when I receive subject lines that would embarrass the recipient if returned back to him. It's a nice way to keep the wheels greased.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Tell them how shiTTTTy their spelling was.

User avatar
K.R.I.T.
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby K.R.I.T. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 pm

You're an assclown for posting this question. Assclown.

tomwelling
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby tomwelling » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 am

Obviously, you should correct it and just put a note in the body of the e-mail that states you corrected it. Nothing fancy, just a short statement.

They'll be impressed by your attention to detail.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby schooner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

...
Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby thecilent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am

I think the real question to ask here is: is this really the type of firm you want to be working at? Auto-ding if you ask me

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby thecilent » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am

schooner wrote:
tomwelling wrote:Obviously, you should correct it and just put a note in the body of the e-mail that states you corrected it. Nothing fancy, just a short statement.

They'll be impressed by your attention to detail.


Yeah, his attention to detail in a way that makes the employer feel dumb and distracts from the other parts of his reply email. The goal isn't to demonstrate your spelling ability. It's to show your interpersonal skills and problem solving (how do I correct this bad typo without risking making the employer feel stupid).

If the OP changes the subject line or simply corrects the typo, without pointing it out, the employer will see the OP's attention to detail and appreciate the tact with which he handled it.

QF woooosh

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby schooner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 am

..
Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 am

thecilent wrote:I think the real question to ask here is: is this really the type of firm you want to be working at? Auto-ding if you ask me


If they want to give me a $160k a year and the only thing I give up in exchange is a lack of proofreading on their part? I hope you meant auto-admit.

schooner
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: typo in subject line of employer's email TO ME

Postby schooner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am

...
Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

!

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 am

schooner wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
thecilent wrote:I think the real question to ask here is: is this really the type of firm you want to be working at? Auto-ding if you ask me


If they want to give me a $160k a year and the only thing I give up in exchange is a lack of proofreading on their part? I hope you meant auto-admit.


thecilent and I were both kidding - making fun of the way employers auto-ding job applicants (who are potentially awesome workers) for stupid inconsequential things, like a typo in your resume. (You should never have a typo in your resume, though. That is an unforced error.)


I swear, spending too much time on TLS has made me interpret regular ole' sarcasm as stupidity.

Sorry!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.