Schlichter Bogard and Denton: St. Louis

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Schlichter Bogard and Denton: St. Louis

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Does anyone know anything about this STL plaintiff's firm? I got an interview with them through OCI but their website leaves a lot to be desired. Salary? Firm life? As a contingency-based firm, they won't have billable requirements....Could anything make it worth it over a traditional biglaw firm if I have that choice to make?

Help, please!

Anonymous User

Re: Schlichter Bogard and Denton: St. Louis

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm

It might be easier to contact one of the what I assume are several grads from your school working there than to ask TLS. But I feel your pain -- I'm in the same situation. I think I'm just going to wing it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm

That's part of the problem. I don't think my school has any alums there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 pm

So does anyone have any insight? (Here's looking at you, WUSTL kids!) I've combed their website but haven't found much other than they do a pretty good job advertising the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

From what I've heard at my firm this summer, Schlichter Bogard (along with most other plaintiffs' firms) does not pay anywhere near the amount as the other mid-sized STL firms, but that this is generally true across all plaintiffs' firms. Schlichter Bogard is apparently considered to be the top dog in STL for this practice area though, so it could at least be a good stepping stone towards higher-paying opportunities. Re: firm life, they supposedly still put in as many hours as attorneys at the other firms, but I am skeptical about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm

I have met with a number of current and former SBD attorneys, and I am also interviewing there this fall. SBD is the top plaintiff's firm in St. Louis, and while the initial financial opportunities do not match a big defense firm, it can be very lucrative a few years into your practice. Another pro to SBD is that it gives you a lot of hands on experience with trial work, so you will be far more experienced at 2-3 years out than most of your peers. Jerry Schlichter may be the best trial attorney in town, and the people who make the decisions there like to go to trial more than most firms, so it is a great place to start out if you want to be a trial attorney down the road.

That said, there are also some cons. I have heard that some very strong personality conflicts occur at this firm, and it isn't right for a lot of people because of it. I've also heard that you will work a lot of hours, and that the top attorneys at the firm are quite demanding (probably true of a lot most firms though). And the firm has also changed a lot in recent years. It used to be a very small shop of just a few attorneys, and they have grown quite a bit in the past decade or so.

Overall, I think SBD would be a great place for an aspiring litigator to start out. The money will be decent (especially after your first few years), the work will be far more engaging than most other firms, and I think the exit opportunities in the STL market for someone 3-4 years out of law school would be pretty solid. But it certainly is not for everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”