How much better are Pre-selects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How much better are Pre-selects

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 am

Honestly weighing these against one another is retarded. Some people just need to get their foot in the door, regardless of GPA, and talk with someone and impress them. If you go to a top 10 school, like the OP, have a shitty GPA, but come across as very intelligent and well spoken and personable in a screener, you'll most likely get a callback (depending on firm of course). Putting a value to these is pretty useless, in my opinion and experience. At each interview just go in and try to impress people either with your personality, smarts, sense of humor, etc. Just because someone has a 3.8, doesnt mean someone with a 3.1 cant do just as good (if not better) a job in the real world and people understand this, just go and kill every interview you have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly weighing these against one another is retarded. Some people just need to get their foot in the door, regardless of GPA, and talk with someone and impress them. If you go to a top 10 school, like the OP, have a shitty GPA, but come across as very intelligent and well spoken and personable in a screener, you'll most likely get a callback (depending on firm of course). Putting a value to these is pretty useless, in my opinion and experience. At each interview just go in and try to impress people either with your personality, smarts, sense of humor, etc. Just because someone has a 3.8, doesnt mean someone with a 3.1 cant do just as good (if not better) a job in the real world and people understand this, just go and kill every interview you have.
That's why it makes a difference, at least for the people discussing it. The people ITT are mostly at T25s where there's a fine line between hire-able and not for Biglaw. It's easier to get in front of firms if you're in a lottery system w/ bad to mediocre grades. Preselect's better for people with easily recognizable selling points like top grades/LR/IP/URM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 am

Coming from a TTTT standpoint (40 dings from mass mailing so far, and no interviews), I am stoked my school does preselects.

Return to “Legal Employment”