OCI: Orifices Continually Invaded Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shepdawg

Bronze

Re: OCI: Orifices Continually Invaded

Post by shepdawg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Just remember my friends, ALL YOU NEED IS ONE. Every ding is just one more "No" closer to a "YES."

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:32 pm

shepdawg wrote:Just remember my friends, ALL YOU NEED IS ONE. Every ding is just one more "No" closer to a "YES." unemployment.
Law school has killed any hint of optimism I may have had.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
shepdawg wrote:Just remember my friends, ALL YOU NEED IS ONE. Every ding is just one more "No" closer to a "YES." unemployment.
I think this is what you meant.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 pm

blurbz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
I think this is what you meant.
yes, tyft

I'm going into law to avoid working in a detail-oriented profession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

I was excited about recieving an interview with Cravath from my T30 school, until I found out that all of my friends also recieved one. I now have two theories: (1) I have very smart friends; or (2) Cravath is interviewing us all for laughs to get them through their interviews with real candidates from NYU/Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am

I bid on a "no multiple interviews" firm through both a sattelite (regional consortium) and our OCI. After recieving interviews from both, I denied my pre-select at one office in accordance with our CDO's instructions on the matter.

I called the CDO later in the day for another unrelated question, while reviewing my file the woman said, "Oh, why did you deny them?" I explained my reasoning, and she said, "Oh, you didn't really have to do that, we just put it up for most of the firms as default, I know several people who interviewed at both offices last year with success." I can't get it back.

1 less screener thanks to their lack of accurate instructions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was excited about recieving an interview with Cravath from my T30 school, until I found out that all of my friends also recieved one. I now have two theories: (1) I have very smart friends; or (2) Cravath is interviewing us all for laughs to get them through their interviews with real candidates from NYU/Columbia.
Cravath has gone off the deep end this year. They preselected me even though my GPA is .3 lower than their usual cut-off. Maybe they've decided to throw ultra-selectivity out the window?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was excited about recieving an interview with Cravath from my T30 school, until I found out that all of my friends also recieved one. I now have two theories: (1) I have very smart friends; or (2) Cravath is interviewing us all for laughs to get them through their interviews with real candidates from NYU/Columbia.
Cravath has gone off the deep end this year. They preselected me even though my GPA is .3 lower than their usual cut-off. Maybe they've decided to throw ultra-selectivity out the window?
Maybe we are part of a new "interviewer training program," they are implementing to ensure they more effectively screen real applicants?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have previous work experience in the financial sector or a similar field? I don't think it's unusual for them to interview a lot of people, and then only choose a relatively small number (if I recall correctly, they have an extraordinarily tough screener:offer ratio). You have a much better chance if you have the grades that are typical for them, but if you have other really strong things going for you, an offer isn't out of the question (although you'll be fighting against the tide with lower grades). They're not really known for strict cutoffs like SullCrom, for example, is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote: Do you have previous work experience in the financial sector or a similar field? I don't think it's unusual for them to interview a lot of people, and then only choose a relatively small number (if I recall correctly, they have an extraordinarily tough screener:offer ratio). You have a much better chance if you have the grades that are typical for them, but if you have other really strong things going for you, an offer isn't out of the question (although you'll be fighting against the tide with lower grades). They're not really known for strict cutoffs like SullCrom, for example, is.
straight out of undergrad. maybe they like my summa econ degree? doubt it.
Anonymous User wrote:
Maybe we are part of a new "interviewer training program," they are implementing to ensure they more effectively screen real applicants?
:lol: Sad thing is this is more likely to be true than my guess!

whew. identity temporarily compromised.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:41 am

I'm only cum-laude in political science and in my cover letter I said that I was interested in their Litigation Practice. Maybe I'm the only one who had the audacity to ask that Cravath interview me while not interested in corporate.

wow. it must be contagious, posted that non-anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm only cum-laude in political science and in my cover letter I said that I was interested in their Litigation Practice. Maybe I'm the only one who had the audacity to ask that Cravath interview me while not interested in corporate.

Inside story is that they're going to be hiring a lot more litigation this year than in recent history. That might have been what caught their eye.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm only cum-laude in political science and in my cover letter I said that I was interested in their Litigation Practice. Maybe I'm the only one who had the audacity to ask that Cravath interview me while not interested in corporate.

Inside story is that they're going to be hiring a lot more litigation this year than in recent history. That might have been what caught their eye.
I love you. If you weren't anonymous, I'd ask you to marry me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”