Susman - but I've never been to Texas. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

Thoughts/comments...help?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

I would think "I've never been to Texas" would sink you. On the other hand, "I worked at a V5 in NYC this summer, loved the city, and want to stay here but work for your firm" will jive.

Also, look into Bartlit Beck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

I know two people who did callbacks in the Houston office. Neither of them had any Texas ties, and they both go to a school where Susman doesn't do OCI; they got their callbacks simply by mailing (using a resume that lacked the word "Texas" on it). I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best, you'll be willing to go to Texas to work there; I don't think ties are much of an issue.

Disclaimer: I have no firsthand knowledge as I've never spoken to a Susman attorney myself.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best
They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:

I would think "I've never been to Texas" would sink you. On the other hand, "I worked at a V5 in NYC this summer, loved the city, and want to stay here but work for your firm" will jive.

Also, look into Bartlit Beck
You can look into Bartlit Beck, but they don't really consider CoA folks until the turn of the new year during the clerkship year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best
They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.
Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Barlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Barlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.
Zombie Rehnquist is clearly the most prestigious.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

You misspelled preftigiouf.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
You're looking at this like a law student. How did you learn about Susman? Was it one of their non-Texas "high stakes trial litigation matters," or did you overhear someone mention the handful of things everyone repeats about Susman?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 pm

OP here.

So aside the standard, prestige-fighting TLS banter - the credited response is either NYC or just fuck it tell the truth (I don't care where, I just want to work for your firm, in which case I put Houston)?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

So aside the standard, prestige-fighting TLS banter - the credited response is either NYC or just fuck it tell the truth (I don't care where, I just want to work for your firm, in which case I put Houston)?
You're aware their New York "office" has 10 people, 4 of whom are really stationed in Texas, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 pm

OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.
You can't go right either way. Think this over a little more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.
OP here - I think that's a little dramatic.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

If you have the credentials, you'll get hired. It's not a "Texas" firm like a Fulbright or V&E so I don't think your lack of ties is probably as big a deal.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
OP here - I think that's a little dramatic.
Maybe, but people tend to be interested in Susman for the wrong reasons, and you seem to fit the bill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

If you have the credentials, you'll get hired. It's not a "Texas" firm like a Fulbright or V&E so I don't think your lack of ties is probably as big a deal.
OP here - this is the advice I'm getting elsewhere as well. Here's to hoping.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Bartlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.
You're looking at this like a law student. How did you learn about Susman? Was it one of their non-Texas "high stakes trial litigation matters," or did you overhear someone mention the handful of things everyone repeats about Susman?
Gosh you're annoying; it's a shame TLS hasn't outright banned you. My description of Susman comes after researching the firm fairly extensively last summer to determine whether it was worth sending them an application (eventually I decided it wasn't what I was looking for), as well as talking to students who did callbacks there. Yes it's a Texas firm, but if you think the name doesn't carry the same weight outside of Texas, you're dead wrong. OP, apply to their Houston office and hope for the best.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Didn't know Susman's NY office was so small. So they're primarily a Texas thing? So much for my interest in them, I guess...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Bartlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.
Gosh you're annoying; it's a shame TLS hasn't outright banned you. My description of Susman comes after researching the firm fairly extensively last summer to determine whether it was worth sending them an application (eventually I decided it wasn't what I was looking for), as well as talking to students who did callbacks there. Yes it's a Texas firm, but if you think the name doesn't carry the same weight outside of Texas, you're dead wrong. OP, apply to their Houston office and hope for the best.
Take a crack at these:

Can you name some major cases they've been involved in and the role they played? To what extent is the firm Stephen Susman's personal fiefdom? What kind of business does the firm do outside of Texas? Assuming you make partner after 5 years, what does your role look like? Would one make more at Susman or a larger firm with a reasonably sized book? Will working for Susman limit your practice-area choices?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

OP here - this is the advice I'm getting elsewhere as well. Here's to hoping.
I'm a native Houstonian fwiw and in what admittedly is at best moderate experience interacting with lawyers in Houston, they don't really consider it to be all that "Texan". I think the names went to UT law but did Ivy league UGs and most of their attorneys are far more Ivy league/east coast types than Lucchese-wearing types you might see in the Big-Tex firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Do you own any bolo ties?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:44 pm

quakeroats wrote:Take a crack at these:

Can you name some major cases they've been involved in and the role they played? To what extent is the firm Stephen Susman's personal fiefdom? What kind of business does the firm do outside of Texas? Assuming you make partner after 5 years, what does your role look like? Would one make more at Susman or a larger firm with a reasonably sized book? Will working for Susman limit your practice-area choices?
Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time on your silly little quiz just to prove a point. OP has already gotten the information s/he needs. I'm out.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Take a crack at these:

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time on your silly little quiz just to prove a point. OP has already gotten the information s/he needs. I'm out.
I suspect you're trying to save face, but think about what I wrote. Maybe you should find answers to a few of those questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Do you own any bolo ties?

OP here - haha, this is the money question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”