Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

Thoughts/comments...help?

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

Thoughts/comments...help?


I would think "I've never been to Texas" would sink you. On the other hand, "I worked at a V5 in NYC this summer, loved the city, and want to stay here but work for your firm" will jive.

Also, look into Bartlit Beck

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

Thoughts/comments...help?

I know two people who did callbacks in the Houston office. Neither of them had any Texas ties, and they both go to a school where Susman doesn't do OCI; they got their callbacks simply by mailing (using a resume that lacked the word "Texas" on it). I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best, you'll be willing to go to Texas to work there; I don't think ties are much of an issue.

Disclaimer: I have no firsthand knowledge as I've never spoken to a Susman attorney myself.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best


They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L. Tippy top of the class at CCN. LR, note/comment published. Worked at V5 in NYC this summer. Applying to clerk on DC and 9. I want to be a trial lawyer. I want to work at Susman. BUT I've never been to Texas. I would work in any of Susman's locations (Seattle, LA, Texas, or NYC). I have to select one location for my 3L OCI bid. Where in the world do I bid? Spent time in LA and NYC, that's it. I just want to maximize my chance at a CB.

Thoughts/comments...help?


I would think "I've never been to Texas" would sink you. On the other hand, "I worked at a V5 in NYC this summer, loved the city, and want to stay here but work for your firm" will jive.

Also, look into Bartlit Beck


You can look into Bartlit Beck, but they don't really consider CoA folks until the turn of the new year during the clerkship year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best

They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Barlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best

They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Barlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.


Zombie Rehnquist is clearly the most prestigious.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

You misspelled preftigiouf.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best

They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Barlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.


You're looking at this like a law student. How did you learn about Susman? Was it one of their non-Texas "high stakes trial litigation matters," or did you overhear someone mention the handful of things everyone repeats about Susman?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 pm

OP here.

So aside the standard, prestige-fighting TLS banter - the credited response is either NYC or just fuck it tell the truth (I don't care where, I just want to work for your firm, in which case I put Houston)?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

So aside the standard, prestige-fighting TLS banter - the credited response is either NYC or just fuck it tell the truth (I don't care where, I just want to work for your firm, in which case I put Houston)?


You're aware their New York "office" has 10 people, 4 of whom are really stationed in Texas, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 pm

OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.


You can't go right either way. Think this over a little more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.


You can't go right either way. Think this over a little more.


OP here - I think that's a little dramatic.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby fathergoose » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

If you have the credentials, you'll get hired. It's not a "Texas" firm like a Fulbright or V&E so I don't think your lack of ties is probably as big a deal.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here - this is my question - do I bid on their Headquarters, in a state I've never been to, or a satellite office in a state I have ties to.


You can't go right either way. Think this over a little more.


OP here - I think that's a little dramatic.


Maybe, but people tend to be interested in Susman for the wrong reasons, and you seem to fit the bill.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

If you have the credentials, you'll get hired. It's not a "Texas" firm like a Fulbright or V&E so I don't think your lack of ties is probably as big a deal.


OP here - this is the advice I'm getting elsewhere as well. Here's to hoping.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best

They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Bartlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.

You're looking at this like a law student. How did you learn about Susman? Was it one of their non-Texas "high stakes trial litigation matters," or did you overhear someone mention the handful of things everyone repeats about Susman?

Gosh you're annoying; it's a shame TLS hasn't outright banned you. My description of Susman comes after researching the firm fairly extensively last summer to determine whether it was worth sending them an application (eventually I decided it wasn't what I was looking for), as well as talking to students who did callbacks there. Yes it's a Texas firm, but if you think the name doesn't carry the same weight outside of Texas, you're dead wrong. OP, apply to their Houston office and hope for the best.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby johndhi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Didn't know Susman's NY office was so small. So they're primarily a Texas thing? So much for my interest in them, I guess...

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get the strong sense that they already know that because they're the best

They aren't "the best," whatever that means. They're a small, regional litigation firm that pays associates well.

Sorry, I forgot that TLS posters are super nitpicky about word choice and can't simply read that to mean "among the best." Susman only hires people with super strong credentials, works on very high stakes trial litigation matters, gives associates tons of responsibility, pays bonuses as high as 100% of their salary, and has a very short partnership track (with much better odds than most big law firms), and has an extraordinary reputation. For someone who is attracted to that, I don't think they could find an objectively better firm. There are similar firms like Bartlit Beck, but debating which one is better is like debating which Supreme Court justice is more prestigious to clerk for.

You're looking at this like a law student. How did you learn about Susman? Was it one of their non-Texas "high stakes trial litigation matters," or did you overhear someone mention the handful of things everyone repeats about Susman?
Gosh you're annoying; it's a shame TLS hasn't outright banned you. My description of Susman comes after researching the firm fairly extensively last summer to determine whether it was worth sending them an application (eventually I decided it wasn't what I was looking for), as well as talking to students who did callbacks there. Yes it's a Texas firm, but if you think the name doesn't carry the same weight outside of Texas, you're dead wrong. OP, apply to their Houston office and hope for the best.


Take a crack at these:

Can you name some major cases they've been involved in and the role they played? To what extent is the firm Stephen Susman's personal fiefdom? What kind of business does the firm do outside of Texas? Assuming you make partner after 5 years, what does your role look like? Would one make more at Susman or a larger firm with a reasonably sized book? Will working for Susman limit your practice-area choices?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby fathergoose » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Bid Houston. Be honest. Hope for the best.

If you have the credentials, you'll get hired. It's not a "Texas" firm like a Fulbright or V&E so I don't think your lack of ties is probably as big a deal.


OP here - this is the advice I'm getting elsewhere as well. Here's to hoping.

I'm a native Houstonian fwiw and in what admittedly is at best moderate experience interacting with lawyers in Houston, they don't really consider it to be all that "Texan". I think the names went to UT law but did Ivy league UGs and most of their attorneys are far more Ivy league/east coast types than Lucchese-wearing types you might see in the Big-Tex firms.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Do you own any bolo ties?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:44 pm

quakeroats wrote:Take a crack at these:

Can you name some major cases they've been involved in and the role they played? To what extent is the firm Stephen Susman's personal fiefdom? What kind of business does the firm do outside of Texas? Assuming you make partner after 5 years, what does your role look like? Would one make more at Susman or a larger firm with a reasonably sized book? Will working for Susman limit your practice-area choices?

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time on your silly little quiz just to prove a point. OP has already gotten the information s/he needs. I'm out.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby quakeroats » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Take a crack at these:

Can you name some major cases they've been involved in and the role they played? To what extent is the firm Stephen Susman's personal fiefdom? What kind of business does the firm do outside of Texas? Assuming you make partner after 5 years, what does your role look like? Would one make more at Susman or a larger firm with a reasonably sized book? Will working for Susman limit your practice-area choices?

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time on your silly little quiz just to prove a point. OP has already gotten the information s/he needs. I'm out.


I suspect you're trying to save face, but think about what I wrote. Maybe you should find answers to a few of those questions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Susman - but I've never been to Texas.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Do you own any bolo ties?



OP here - haha, this is the money question.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.